Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jenjoh08 Jenjoh08 is offline

Default Microsoft Word Tutorials

I went to Microsoft Office Online and did a training session for Word 2007.
After I went through the session it says now it's time to practice but when I
click on the "Practice in Word" icon a window pops up and it says downloading
practice but it doesn't do anything. I've already downloaded the free 60
trial of Home and Student 2007. Does anyone know how I can fix this? I just
bought this computer and I wonder if it is the computer? I can still return
it if it is. Any opinions/solutions.
Thanks,
Jennifer
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Jennifer,

Do you have a link to the specific tutorial where you're seeing this?

======================
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jenjoh08 Jenjoh08 is offline

Sorry I'm not too computer literate so I'm not quite sure want you mean
specifically. I'll describe the steps I went through to get to the tutorial:

Microsoft.com clicked on Training and Events clicked on Office online
training and demos clicked on Browse office 2007 courses clicked on Word 2007
clicked on Get to Know Word 2007 I:Create your first document ( actually I've
clicked on several other ones and I get the same result ). I go through the
tutorial and when I'm done the lady says now it's time to practice and there
is a box that says "Practice in Word" inside. The address for this is
office.microsoft.com/training/training.aspx?AssetID=RP102275011033&CTT=6&Origin= RP102275091033.
So I click on "Practice in Word" and two windows pop up. A small window
that says Downloading Practice with a progress bar underneath that never
moves, it just stays blank. The second window is underneath this one and it
is called Practice-Training-Microsoft Office Online and you can save your
practice session. Actually, after I posted this message I tried it again and
I clicked on the save button on the second window instead of trying to wait
for the download progress bar to move and I was taken to a practice session
which seemed to work. Now is this okay? I still think it's funny that the
progress bar just stays there. Is there something I can fix here or should I
just let it stay as is? Do you think this computer is whacky?

Maybe you could give some input into another small issue? When I downloaded
the 60 day trial of Office 2007, which was preloaded on my computer when I
bought it, I did the whole thing about getting and entering the product key
and all that. But now the icon on my desktop that says microsoft office
isn't a link to microsoft office but a window is the one that I used to enter
my product key. I can get to the actual Office through the start button.
Should I just throw this icon into the recycling bin?

Thanks Bob,

Jennifer

"Jenjoh08" wrote in message ...
I went to Microsoft Office Online and did a training session for Word 2007.
After I went through the session it says now it's time to practice but when I
click on the "Practice in Word" icon a window pops up and it says downloading
practice but it doesn't do anything. I've already downloaded the free 60
trial of Home and Student 2007. Does anyone know how I can fix this? I just
bought this computer and I wonder if it is the computer? I can still return
it if it is. Any opinions/solutions.
Thanks,
Jennifer
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Jennifer,

Are you saying you have two different copies of the Office 2007 trial installed? (One preinstall and one downloaded?)

Is Word 2007 you may want to try using the Diagnostic choice in Word under
Office Button=Word Options=Resources

The 'Practice in Word' button on
http://office.microsoft.com/training...RP102275011033
worked for me, but there was a delay of a minute or so the first time I tried it, and if you're now getting the practice document to
show and then the 'help page' that is basically the expected result from that link.

============
"Jenjoh08" wrote in message ...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jenjoh08 Jenjoh08 is offline

Hi Bob,

I clicked on the start button of my computer. I clicked on Microsoft Office
and under it came a thing that said free 60 day trial or something to that
effect. I clicked on it and it brought me to the Microsoft Office
Activation. It says there that The 2007 Microsoft Office Release is
preinstalled on your personal computer. Under the Try Microsoft Office I
followed the steps:
1. Click Here to Request Your Trial Activation Key Online. So I did that.
Then I went to Step 2. Now click here to launch Microsoft Office and enter
your trial key. So I did that.

Then it gave me the date the free trial would expire, Oct. 31. And then I
could use it. But I was wondering about the Microsoft Office icon on my
desktop. I thought it would get me to Microsoft Office but it goes to the
same Microsoft Office Activation that I went to when I activated the free
trial. To get to office I have to go to the start button and find it in the
list of programs. Is this normal? Should I do anything about this or just
leave it?

Thanks,

Jennifer

"Jenjoh08" wrote in message ...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

The button on the desktop is probably a button related to the pre-installed
trial. I don't recall the Office 2007 installation putting an icon on the
desktop. My guess is that it simply links to the on-line activation web
page. You may be able to verify that by right clicking the icon and checking
its properties.

If you want a Word icon on the desktop, right click the icon in the Word
start menu and drag it to the desktop. When there let go and choose the
option to COPY the shortcut. The other icon you can either delete or move to
a temporary folder.

If Windows desktop clean-up has not yet put an Unused Shortcuts folder on
your desktop, create a folder of that name on the desktop (right click new
folder name it Unused Shortcuts) and drag the unwanted icon to it.

"Jenjoh08" wrote in message
[...]

Illustrator CS3 Tutorials She is New Users 0 April 1st 08 03:54 PM
Free Tutorials towczarski New Users 3 February 23rd 08 08:42 PM
Pattern your Help after MVP's 'tutorials'!!!! PLEASE!! jklpebbles Mailmerge 4 July 25th 07 08:26 PM
Books/tutorials etc. on writing research paper with Word 2007 Leonard Microsoft Word Help 1 March 29th 07 01:06 AM
downloading word tutorials karaokepete New Users 1 February 1st 05 01:30 PM