Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
VPsoccer VPsoccer is offline

Default Horizontal Lines in Headers/Footers

I have headers and footers with horizontal lines, and the one in the footer
(top of footer) is longer than the one in the header (bottom of footer).

Both are supposed to be the same length and every setting I can find in the
"borders and shading" is identical.

The only thing I could think it might be is that the header somehow begins
before the margins are set, but I don't know how that would be and I have
checked everywhere I can to be sure the margins are OK. If I change the
margins, the lines change, but are still unequal.

Any ideas on where to attack this?

--
The Archive for the France Stays in the War project: France Fights On!
http://www.francefightson.org
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

The setting you should look at is not "margins" but the paragraph indents.
The length of a paragraph border is determined by the combination of the
margins and the indents -- but the margins are the same throughout any
single section, including that section's headers and footers. However, the
indents can be different between the two areas (or, in fact, from one
paragraph to the next).

First look at the paragraph formatting that's set for the Header style and
the Footer style. If they're the same, then right-click in a header
paragraph and look at its direct (non-style) paragraph formatting, and then
do the same in a footer paragraph. Check the values of the left and right
indents.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

VPsoccer wrote:
I have headers and footers with horizontal lines, and the one in the
footer (top of footer) is longer than the one in the header (bottom
of footer).

Both are supposed to be the same length and every setting I can find
in the "borders and shading" is identical.

The only thing I could think it might be is that the header somehow
begins before the margins are set, but I don't know how that would be
and I have checked everywhere I can to be sure the margins are OK.
If I change the margins, the lines change, but are still unequal.

Any ideas on where to attack this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Nothing to do with margins, per se. If it's a border, what counts is the
paragraph indents. Make sure that neither of the paragraphs has an indent of
any kind (positive or negative).

"VPsoccer" wrote in message
I have headers and footers with horizontal lines, and the one in the

footer
(top of footer) is longer than the one in the header (bottom of footer).

Both are supposed to be the same length and every setting I can find in

the
"borders and shading" is identical.

The only thing I could think it might be is that the header somehow begins
before the margins are set, but I don't know how that would be and I have
checked everywhere I can to be sure the margins are OK. If I change the
margins, the lines change, but are still unequal.

Any ideas on where to attack this?

--
The Archive for the France Stays in the War project: France Fights On!
http://www.francefightson.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
VPsoccer VPsoccer is offline

Thank you Jay and Suzanne.
The indents did it -- in the header, by 0.25 inch, with the . . . . I still
don't know how it happened but at least now I know where to look.

GaryJ