Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
E. Bennett E. Bennett is offline

Default Dictionary in Word 2007 or lack of it

I have Word in the new Office Home and Student 2007 suite and I am unable to
use the dictionary in Word unless I am connected to the internet. Is there a
way and a source where I can download a dictionary into Word so that I can
use it while working off line?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi E.,

Proofing tools for spelling and grammar are included with Office 2007. The Reference books (Dictionary, etc) (Alt, R, R,) to look
up additional information, such as word definitions are an online service.

There are 3rd party products available for dictionary use offline.

=========
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Thierry Fontenelle [MSFT][_2_] Thierry Fontenelle [MSFT][_2_] is offline

Hi E.,

Bob is right: the references accessible via the Research pane are an on-line
service: the monolingual dictionaries (with definitions, etc) are in fact the
Encarta dictionaries (for English, French, etc). They are included in the
Encarta products, so it is entirely possible to access them when you are
working off line if you have the Encarta encyclopedia.

I hope it helps,

Thierry

Thierry Fontenelle [MSFT]

"E. Bennett" E. wrote in message ...
I have Word in the new Office Home and Student 2007 suite and I am unable to
use the dictionary in Word unless I am connected to the internet. Is there a
way and a source where I can download a dictionary into Word so that I can
use it while working off line?
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Steve B Steve B is offline

Bob, Thierry, for years--literally--the encarta dictionary was available in
my research pane under both Office 2003 and 2007. Then suddenly it was gone!
The message for any of the encarta-related services would say that I was
offline, even when I was definitely online.
Tonight I removed all the services and then tried to reinstall them, but the
box said that no advertized services were available. Any advice?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Steve,

What is your default editing language set to in Word
Office Button=Word Options=Popular=[Language Settings]

In Word 2007, press F1 for help and in the bottom right of that dialog does it say 'Connected to Office Online'?

If you bring up the research pane and use the 'Research Options' at the bottom of the pane can you use the Update/Remove or Add
Services choices and is the Parental Control choice turned off?

===============
"Steve B" Steve wrote in message ...
Bob, Thierry, for years--literally--the encarta dictionary was available in
my research pane under both Office 2003 and 2007. Then suddenly it was gone!
The message for any of the encarta-related services would say that I was
offline, even when I was definitely online.
Tonight I removed all the services and then tried to reinstall them, but the
box said that no advertized services were available. Any advice?
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Steve B[_2_] Steve B[_2_] is offline

Hi Bob,
1. Default language is US English
2. Yes, help files show a connection to Office Online
3a Parental Control is turned off
3b Both Update/Remove and AddServices boxes will open
3c However, Add services says "No advertised services available"
3d Under Update/Remove, my only choices a Translation, Thesauri, Factiva,
WorldLingo, Highbeam and Microsoft ("Can't find it")
3e Most of these services will update with no change. When I tried to update
Highbeam (I used to have a subscription) I get an error, then "Network
connect: Getting service information" which just seems to stick until I cancel

Just to confirm, Encarta disctionary and encyclopedia were working fine in
my research pane on this and other computers for about 5 years at least. I'm
now on Office 2007 Ultimate
Thanks for your help,
Steve
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Steve,

Is this a personal or work machine? It's possible on work machines for some of the links through IE for the Research pane to be
disabled. If not, then:

A. Is the Regional setting in the Windows Control panel set to the U.S.?

B. Does the Research Bar[pane] work in Internet Explorer?

C. If in the Research Pane you click on 'Research Options' then [Add Services] then type or paste in
http://office.microsoft.com/Research/query.asmx
do you get a choice to setup one of the Dictionaries?

================
"Steve B" wrote in message ...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
hbiz0 hbiz0 is offline

"Steve B" wrote:
3d Under Update/Remove, my only choices a Translation, Thesauri, Factiva,
WorldLingo, Highbeam and Microsoft ("Can't find it")

I have a similar problem (Word 2007). Although Worldlingo shows up under
Research OptionsUpdate/Remove, all the check boxes next to languages in
Worldlingo cannot be checked. Furthermore, Worldlingo does not show up at
all in the Research Options window; only in the Update/Remove window.

How does one install or update languages in Worldlingo so they show up in
the Research Options window?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
hbiz0 hbiz0 is offline

The problem had nothing to do with Vista. It was cookie or temporaty file
problem with Internet Explorer. Solution here,
http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...&cr=&sloc=&p=1

Thanks all.