Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Frank[_3_] Frank[_3_] is offline

Default Word 2003 Question Normal.dot

Hi- I am not a new user, but this is the only general type NG I saw. OK.
WinXP Pro w/MS Office 2003 Pro, word, the normal.dot template keeps getting
corrupted(it seems) I have reinstalled and done repair, etc. When I open the
normal.dot -New Word Doc, and go to Print layout view, which I have used as
my norm since Word 95 the cursor is at the extreme top of the page/screen. I
also have downloaded normal.dots, taken the one from my laptop(also 2003,
from other workers PC's. This is on my home PC, no network. I also have
always set the default margins to 1" all around. Also since forever. Never
had a problem. I did a spyware and virus scan using Bit defender which is
one of the best. So............? Help. If I replace the file it works for a
while, then goes back to the same garbage. Could it be a corrupted doc and
when I open it triggers this? If so, how the heck can I find it? Impossible?
Thanks so Much sorry for the long post. Oh, yes, rulers are selected Hor and
Vert.
Frank

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

One of the most frequent causes of recurring normal.dot corruption is
registry corruption (it's contagious). I would try renaming/deleting the
Data key in the registry, as described he

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/826862

Ignore the stuff about printing. A corrupted Data key is the source of
myriad problems, and this article just happened to be a convenience
reference for how to delete it.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"Frank" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Frank[_3_] Frank[_3_] is offline

Thanks to both of you for helping, it was the white space checkbox, but how
did it get unchecked? Maybe the registry also. I am a ms tech, just not word
obviously, so I am not afraid of the register.
Thanks so Much
Frank
"garfield-n-odie [MVP]" wrote in
message ...

Frank wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Frank[_3_] Frank[_3_] is offline

Thanks Suzanne That's good to know
Frank

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
See “WD2002: Rules for ‘Hide white space between pages’”
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=297564

so
all may benefit.