Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
PamKT PamKT is offline

Default Count number of rows in table

I am trying to count the number of rows in a table. Each row will have an
entry.
I can include a row and enter the formula =COUNT(BELOW) and it works.
However, I want the answer to be displayed elsewhere in the document. I
highlighted the entire table, and inserted a Bookmark "tt" then elsewhere I
entered the formula =COUNT(TT A:A) (to count the number of items in column A)
and I always get 0 unless column A contains numbers.

Any suggestions?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Epinn Epinn is offline

Thank you for your post. I didn't know I could do something like this with
**Word** until I read this.

In Excel, I would use COUNTA instead of COUNT to catch both text and
numbers. Have you tried COUNTA with Word?

Glad you mentioned ...... unless column A contains **numbers**. This is
what my suggestion is based on.

Can you or anyone point me to any tutorial/article on using formulas in Word
please? I shall read F1 while I wait for an answer. Where can I get a list
of functions/formulas that can be used in Word?

Thanks.

Epinn

"PamKT" wrote in message
I am trying to count the number of rows in a table. Each row will have an
entry.
I can include a row and enter the formula =COUNT(BELOW) and it works.
However, I want the answer to be displayed elsewhere in the document. I
highlighted the entire table, and inserted a Bookmark "tt" then elsewhere

entered the formula =COUNT(TT A:A) (to count the number of items in column

A)
and I always get 0 unless column A contains numbers.

Any suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Epinn Epinn is offline

I apologize. I should have checked help before I posted. I was just too
excited about discovering a new feature.

Would you like to check this out?
http://groups.google.ca/group/micros...wse_thread/thr
ead/6ede558669824cfc/7c265f4fddf4c4b0%237c265f4fddf4c4b0

Hope this makes up for disappointing you previously. More importantly, I
hope I have not misinterpreted your needs or the thread and messed up twice.
I should shut up now.

Epinn

"PamKT" wrote in message
I am trying to count the number of rows in a table. Each row will have

an
entry.
I can include a row and enter the formula =COUNT(BELOW) and it works.
However, I want the answer to be displayed elsewhere in the document.

highlighted the entire table, and inserted a Bookmark "tt" then

elsewhere
entered the formula =COUNT(TT A:A) (to count the number of items in

column
A)
and I always get 0 unless column A contains numbers.

Any suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Epinn Epinn is offline

I don't know why the hyperlink is not displayed properly, so you may have to
do cut and paste instead of just clicking on the link.

A few lines from one post -

"The quickest way I know is to put the cursor in the last row of the table,
and open the Table Properties dialog. Click on the Row tab. The row number
will be shown just below the Size heading."

I tried it and it was fun. More info from the thread.

Epinn

"PamKT" wrote in message
I am trying to count the number of rows in a table. Each row will

have
an
entry.
I can include a row and enter the formula =COUNT(BELOW) and it

works.
However, I want the answer to be displayed elsewhere in the

document.
highlighted the entire table, and inserted a Bookmark "tt" then

elsewhere
entered the formula =COUNT(TT A:A) (to count the number of items in

column
A)
and I always get 0 unless column A contains numbers.

Any suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Epinn Epinn is offline

The link is not usable the way it is displayed. You may have to do google
yourself. The thread was from 2004.

Let me paste another post by Suzanne S. Barnhill, Microsoft MVP (Word)
from that thread here.

"Get the TableCellHelper macro from
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...eIncorrect.htm. When you run it,
it returns the address of the current cell and the total number of rows and
columns in the table."

I really should leave you alone now. Good luck!

Epinn

"PamKT" wrote in message
I am trying to count the number of rows in a table. Each row will

have
an
entry.
I can include a row and enter the formula =COUNT(BELOW) and it

works.
However, I want the answer to be displayed elsewhere in the

document.
highlighted the entire table, and inserted a Bookmark "tt" then

elsewhere
entered the formula =COUNT(TT A:A) (to count the number of items in

column
A)
and I always get 0 unless column A contains numbers.

Any suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi Pam,

I am trying to count the number of rows in a table. Each row will have an
entry.
I can include a row and enter the formula =COUNT(BELOW) and it works.
However, I want the answer to be displayed elsewhere in the document. I
highlighted the entire table, and inserted a Bookmark "tt" then elsewhere I
entered the formula =COUNT(TT A:A) (to count the number of items in column A)
and I always get 0 unless column A contains numbers.

Select JUST the formula field (not the entire table or the entire cell) and
bookmark it. Then use a REF field to display the value elsewhere (you can also
use Insert/Cross Reference to generate the REF field)

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)