Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
siggi siggi is offline

Default can I integrrate normal.dot into a document?

Hi all,

can anybody help, please?

System: MS Word 2003 on WinXP Prof 2002, SP 2, MS Office Prof 2003

Problem: with insert reference I can creat new categories for captions,
and I can refer to these within the document. However, these new categories
are saved in Normal.dot, not in the document. Hence, when I copy my document
to different computer, I have either to create these categories anew or copy
my old Normal.dot to this new computer.

Is there a better way, such as fusing Normal.dot with a document or saving
the new categories somehow with the document, making the document portable
from computer to computer?

Thank you,

Siggi

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

siggi wrote:
Hi all,

can anybody help, please?

System: MS Word 2003 on WinXP Prof 2002, SP 2, MS Office Prof 2003

Problem: with insert reference I can creat new categories for captions,
and I can refer to these within the document. However, these new categories
are saved in Normal.dot, not in the document. Hence, when I copy my document
to different computer, I have either to create these categories anew or copy
my old Normal.dot to this new computer.

Is there a better way, such as fusing Normal.dot with a document or saving
the new categories somehow with the document, making the document portable
from computer to computer?

I don't know of any such better method. If the document in question must
be "fool proof", you need the creation method in code. If not, maybe a
simple readme.txt file (well, readme.doc, more likely :-)) with
instructions on how to create the category first) will help (the users
who read documentation).

Greetinx
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
siggi siggi is offline

Thank you, Robert, also for your reply in microsoft.public.de.word. Seems I
have to go back to my own system of referring to captions (that I concocted
with the help of a friendly MS assistant at a time when MS hotlines were
still free for everybody). My system is not as straightforward as the
official one, but it is portable and resides within the document.

Cheers,

Siggi

"Robert M. Franz (RMF)" wrote in
siggi wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
siggi siggi is offline

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
It's actually worse than that: the caption labels are not stored in
Normal.dot but in the Registry.

Strange, when I copy a Normal.dot file that holds the categories and labels
over a Normal.dot file that does not, everything is ok again! What kind of
registry are you talking about? Regedit?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
siggi siggi is offline

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
I understood they were stored in the Windows Registry.

Nope!
Robert M. Franz in microsoft.public.de pointed me to this link that clearly
states that they are stored in Normal.dot (sorry, the text is in German):

http://mypage.bluewin.ch/reprobst/Wo...htm#Baustein07

This is my own experience, too, see my posting from 9/20/2006 above. Try it
yourself and
forget the registry.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Suzanne

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
I understood they were stored in the Windows Registry.

ISTR discussions about this before. Do you have an MSFT site handy that
sheds some light here?

The fact that Word says it has to save normal.dot seems to be a good
indication that this is actually the place where the categories are
saved, though by no means I would bet money on it ... :-)

Greetinx
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Apparently I'm wrong; I guess that the complaint was that it is virtually
impossible to transfer them to another machine since they can't be stored in
a *document* template.

"Robert M. Franz (RMF)" wrote in message
Hi Suzanne

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
I understood they were stored in the Windows Registry.

ISTR discussions about this before. Do you have an MSFT site handy that
sheds some light here?

The fact that Word says it has to save normal.dot seems to be a good
indication that this is actually the place where the categories are
saved, though by no means I would bet money on it ... :-)

Greetinx
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP
X Against HTML | for
/ \ in e-mail & news | Word

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
Apparently I'm wrong; I guess that the complaint was that it is virtually
impossible to transfer them to another machine since they can't be stored in
a *document* template.

That I remember, indeed!

I'm still not entirely convinced which part it is now (normal.dot or
Registry), but hey, we're not really liable to document this
application! ;-)

Greetinx
Robert
--