Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sally Sibthorpe Sally Sibthorpe is offline

Default Styleref field error when opened in Germany

We have a repositry of QMS templates that are used in our company across the
US. We now have group members in Germany and several other countries.

The templates are automated with styleref fields to populate headers and
footers. When our teammates in Germany try to use the templates, they get
error messages in the header/footers for the date field only....seems the
word for "date" there is datum, and Word is converting that code only, and
leaving the remaining fields codes (document name, org, etc) alone.

Is there a way to tell Word that "date" and "datum" are equivalent, so the
error codes cease? (We cannot have duplicate templates, so that option
cannot be considered.)
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?U2FsbHkgU2lidGhvcnBl?=,

Which version of Word is used? Are the German affiliates using an English or
German version of Word? And of Windows? Is this the { DATE } field (just
double-checking) - always reflects the current date on which the document is
opened?

We have a repositry of QMS templates that are used in our company across the
US. We now have group members in Germany and several other countries.

The templates are automated with styleref fields to populate headers and
footers. When our teammates in Germany try to use the templates, they get
error messages in the header/footers for the date field only....seems the
word for "date" there is datum, and Word is converting that code only, and
leaving the remaining fields codes (document name, org, etc) alone.

Is there a way to tell Word that "date" and "datum" are equivalent, so the
error codes cease? (We cannot have duplicate templates, so that option
cannot be considered.)

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sally Sibthorpe Sally Sibthorpe is offline

We use Word 2003. I am assuming that our affiliates use the German version of
the software, as most of them do not speak English.

The field I am referring to is a styleref field. It picks up the date that
is manually entered in the date field that WE define...not a built-in Word
date field.

"Sally Sibthorpe" wrote:

We have a repositry of QMS templates that are used in our company across the
US. We now have group members in Germany and several other countries.

The templates are automated with styleref fields to populate headers and
footers. When our teammates in Germany try to use the templates, they get
error messages in the header/footers for the date field only....seems the
word for "date" there is datum, and Word is converting that code only, and
leaving the remaining fields codes (document name, org, etc) alone.

Is there a way to tell Word that "date" and "datum" are equivalent, so the
error codes cease? (We cannot have duplicate templates, so that option
cannot be considered.)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?U2FsbHkgU2lidGhvcnBl?=,

We use Word 2003. I am assuming that our affiliates use the German version of
the software, as most of them do not speak English.

For this question, I think it important that you check on this.

The field I am referring to is a styleref field. It picks up the date that
is manually entered in the date field that WE define...not a built-in Word
date field.

Your problem description is unclear. You talk about styleref fields on the one
hand, and datefields on the other. Please give us more details, including an
example of exactly what you have in your original files, what's appearing in the
German locations, and where the error message is showing up. For example: what's
the style name that's being referenced in the StyleRef field? What's the field
code of the StyleRef field? Is Word 2003 *changing* the field code? To what text
is the style in question applied? What's the content of this "date field YOU
define"? What kind of field is this?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sally Sibthorpe Sally Sibthorpe is offline

As I said in one of the threads, I am referencing a self-defined field called
Date in the style ref.

I fixed my problem by renaming my self defined field to another name that
does not confilct with Word's built in date field.

"Cindy M." wrote:

Hi ?B?U2FsbHkgU2lidGhvcnBl?=,

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

I suspect you were using the { STYLEREF Date } field in the English
language version, to reference text formatted in the Date built-in
paragraph style. This certainly causes trouble in non-English versions
of Word.

The problem isn't with the Date field, though. Instead, the problem is
that all built-in styles have different names in different language
versions of Word.

For heading styles, you can use numbers, for example, { STYLEREF 1 }
to reference Heading 1 text, but for other paragraphs you must either
create aliases or use custom styles, if you want STYLEREF fields to
work with different language versions of Word.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Sally Sibthorpe" wrote in message
As I said in one of the threads, I am referencing a self-defined

field called
Date in the style ref.

I fixed my problem by renaming my self defined field to another name

that
does not confilct with Word's built in date field.

"Cindy M." wrote:

Hi ?B?U2FsbHkgU2lidGhvcnBl?=,

[...]

http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindymeister (last update Jun 17

2005)
http://www.word.mvps.org

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any follow

question or reply
in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)