Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Gayscue Gayscue is offline

Default cannot open files on floppy disk

I have files saved on a floppy disk that I was able to open a few weeks ago
but when I tried to open them today it says that they are not accessible
because either the disk has not been formatted or it is formatted as a
macintosh. I have not made any changes to my computer. Has anyone got any
suggestions? Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jezebel Jezebel is offline

Throw away the floppy and retype the documents. Opening files on floppy
directly from Word corrupts the files and -- as you've discovered the hard
way -- often corrupts the entire disk.

"Gayscue" wrote in message
news
I have files saved on a floppy disk that I was able to open a few weeks ago
but when I tried to open them today it says that they are not accessible
because either the disk has not been formatted or it is formatted as a
macintosh. I have not made any changes to my computer. Has anyone got
any
suggestions? Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Try copying the file to the hard disk and then open it from there. But
note that you may be out of luck. *Editing* on floppy disks easily
corrupts documents (since there isn't enough space for Word's
temporary
files). You can, however, *move* documents between computers by
copying them to and from floppy disks. Of course, given the fact that
USB memory sticks are relatively cheap, there usually is no need for
that, these days.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Gayscue" wrote in message
news
I have files saved on a floppy disk that I was able to open a few

weeks ago
but when I tried to open them today it says that they are not

accessible
because either the disk has not been formatted or it is formatted as

macintosh. I have not made any changes to my computer. Has anyone

got any
suggestions? Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You may already have corrupted the files by opening them from the floppy,
but, if possible, copy the files to your hard drive and open them from
there. In future, never save Word documents directly to a floppy or open
them directly from one. This is one of the top three causes of document
corruption.

news