Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
FLYNNE

Default Reverse sorting in Microsoft Word 2003

I wish to sort the following from:-

Using PowerPoint Notes
Find out what to do when your notes runneth over.
January 13, 2006

Word's Work Menu
A little-known built-in menu you can add to get at documents you use often.
January 6, 2006

A New Tool in the Fight Against Spam
G-Lock SpamCombat lets you delete spam on the server so it never gets to
your hard disk
December 30, 2005

to :-

A New Tool in the Fight Against Spam
G-Lock SpamCombat lets you delete spam on the server so it never gets to
your hard disk
December 30, 2005

Word's Work Menu
A little-known built-in menu you can add to get at documents you use often.
January 6, 2006

Using PowerPoint Notes
Find out what to do when your notes runneth over.
January 13, 2006

I have tried using the sort feature in word but the text and dates get
sorted into separate piles - not as shown above.

Regards

--
FLYNNE
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman

Word sorts paragraphs. That means each "unit" of text that you want to keep
together must be one paragraph. Currently each of your lines is a separate
paragraph.

Press the ¶ button on the toolbar to see the paragraph mark (the same ¶
symbol) at the end of each line. Replace the paragraph mark at the end of
each title and subtitle with a manual line break (Shift+Enter), leaving a
paragraph mark only at the end of each date. Also, delete the empty
paragraph mark below each date (you can get the same appearance by setting
the Space After for each text paragraph to 12 pt). Then sort.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

FLYNNE wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I tried this and was surprised to find that it didn't work for me. The only
way I could make it work was to convert the text to a table and sort the
date column. If the table is rearranged to put Column 3 first, then
converted back to text, so that the date is the first thing in the
paragraph, it works fine. But I was still surprised that Word couldn't find
the dates in the paragraphs and sort on them, as I thought I recalled having
had success with this before.

"Jay Freedman" wrote in message
Word sorts paragraphs. That means each "unit" of text that you want to

keep
together must be one paragraph. Currently each of your lines is a separate
paragraph.

Press the ¶ button on the toolbar to see the paragraph mark (the same ¶
symbol) at the end of each line. Replace the paragraph mark at the end of
each title and subtitle with a manual line break (Shift+Enter), leaving a
paragraph mark only at the end of each date. Also, delete the empty
paragraph mark below each date (you can get the same appearance by setting
the Space After for each text paragraph to 12 pt). Then sort.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

so