Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Idaho Word Man Idaho Word Man is offline

Default How can I require a user to rename a form before saving?

The best way to do it is to save them as templates in a directory and then
have each member of your department go to Tools - Options - File Locations
and map to that directory for "Workgroup Templates." Then tell each person
to use their mouse (keyboard shortcuts won't work) to pick File - New -
Template On My Computer to create a new form.

The next best way would probably be to set the properties of each form to
Read Only. You could also use Save As - Tools - Security Options to apply a
password (that only you know) that must be entered before anybody can modify
the form.

I hope that one of these suggestions helps.

Fred

"lgehringer" wrote:

I keep blank forms for my department in a folder on a shared drive, for easy
access to users. However, users often fill in the blank form and save it
without renaming the file. The next person to open the blank form must
delete all of the information entered by the previous user. I want to be
able to have Word prompt the user to save with a different file name.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
lgehringer lgehringer is offline

Thank you Fred. I tried saving as a template, but users just click "save"
when saving the file and do not choose the ".doc" extension before saving.
So that did not solve the problem. I have password protected the form.
However, that protects only the format. Users enter info in the text field.
After they are done entering info they save the file and some do not change
the file name. Then I still have a form, that is already filled in, saved as
the blank file or template.

I really appreciate your information. Thank you.

"lgehringer" wrote:

I keep blank forms for my department in a folder on a shared drive, for easy
access to users. However, users often fill in the blank form and save it
without renaming the file. The next person to open the blank form must
delete all of the information entered by the previous user. I want to be
able to have Word prompt the user to save with a different file name.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you create a template as a .dot file and users open it from File New or
Windows Explorer, the default action is New, which creates a Documentx,
which will force a Save As (with .doc as the default file extension).

"lgehringer" wrote:

I keep blank forms for my department in a folder on a shared drive,

for easy
access to users. However, users often fill in the blank form and save

it
without renaming the file. The next person to open the blank form

must
delete all of the information entered by the previous user. I want to

be
able to have Word prompt the user to save with a different file name.

How can a user change the default date in a form field? I_AM_SAM Tables 1 June 22nd 05 10:20 PM
Losing check boxes form fields when saving as a web page. joshua Microsoft Word Help 1 April 9th 05 05:31 PM
Warn the user before saving a temp file created by Outlook Petez Microsoft Word Help 2 March 30th 05 10:57 AM
saving a form Sara Microsoft Word Help 5 March 29th 05 02:54 PM
Saving form letters individually John Calligy Mailmerge 1 December 17th 04 10:03 AM