Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
SAM HDC SAM HDC is offline

Default Iinserted comments not highlighted on my screen any more

On my previous computer, if I selected an area and then did Insert / Comment,
Word would highlight my selection in yellow on the screen. My current
computer does NOT highlight the selection. Both computers insert the tiny
little parentheses with initials in the text to indicate the comment, but
these are very hard to see. Both computers run Word 2000 on Windows XP. So
far, I have not been able to find a place to customize the highlighting, just
if they are balloons etc. Is this a bug of some sort?

I strongly prefer to NOT display the comments as balloons because it takes
up too much space on both the screen and the printed page. The highlighting
worked well before, and I would like to find a way to get it back...I work as
an editor, and the main way I communicate with my authors is through these
comments. Can anyone help? Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jean-Guy Marcil Jean-Guy Marcil is offline

SAM HDC was telling us:
SAM HDC nous racontait que :

On my previous computer, if I selected an area and then did Insert /
Comment, Word would highlight my selection in yellow on the screen.
My current computer does NOT highlight the selection. Both computers
insert the tiny little parentheses with initials in the text to
indicate the comment, but these are very hard to see. Both computers
run Word 2000 on Windows XP. So far, I have not been able to find a
place to customize the highlighting, just if they are balloons etc.
Is this a bug of some sort?

I strongly prefer to NOT display the comments as balloons because it
takes up too much space on both the screen and the printed page. The
highlighting worked well before, and I would like to find a way to
get it back...I work as an editor, and the main way I communicate
with my authors is through these comments. Can anyone help? Thanks!

Have you tried :

Tools menu Options... Track Changes tab set Use Balloons to Never

?

--

Salut!
_______________________________________

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
SAM HDC SAM HDC is offline

Jean-Guy -- Thank you so much for responding to my post! Right now, I do
have the balloon feature turned off, and the comments show up at the bottom
of the page, which is how I want them to be. However, in the main text, Word
used to highlight in yellow whatever material I selected when I inserted the
comment. With the relevant text highlighted in yellow, the reader could then
easily see where my comments were by scrolling through and looking for the
yellow highlighted areas. Right now, this highlighting is gone. So to find
the comments now, the reader has to either a) scroll through and look for the
tiny bracketed initials that marks the comment, or b) open the comments at
the bottom of the page and work back from those. The highlighting is much
easier to use, and gives everyone an overall visual sense of where the
comments are. The yellow highlighting is what I would like to get back.
Have you ever run into that before?

"Jean-Guy Marcil" wrote:

SAM HDC was telling us:
SAM HDC nous racontait que :

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[...]

In the same dialog where you turn on/off the balloons, there is an option to
set the comments colour. Have you adjusted that?

--

Salut!
_______________________________________

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

From your description, I would guess that you have Word 2002. The color
highlighting was restored in Word 2003.

"SAM HDC" wrote in message
[...]

"Jean-Guy Marcil" wrote:

SAM HDC was telling us:
SAM HDC nous racontait que :

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ed Ed is offline

Hi SAM HDC,

I believe that in Word 97 or 2000 you need to tick
Tools/Options/View/ScreenTips to see the yellow highlights.

(And Tools/Options/View/Hidden text if you couldn't see the comments
at all).

Cheers.

Ed

"SAM HDC" wrote:

[...]