Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
deko deko is offline

Default OCR in Office? How to convert GIF to TIFF?

I know how use Microsoft Office Document Imaging to send a TIFF file to Word via
OCR. But how can I OCR a gif into Word?

Do I have to first print it, then scan it into a TIFF, then use Microsoft Office
Document Imaging to OCR it into Word?

Any suggestions welcome!

Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Try to find some software that can convert the .gif to a .tif.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

~~~~~
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

"deko" wrote in message
. ..
I know how use Microsoft Office Document Imaging to send a TIFF file to
Word via OCR. But how can I OCR a gif into Word?

Do I have to first print it, then scan it into a TIFF, then use Microsoft
Office Document Imaging to OCR it into Word?

Any suggestions welcome!

Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
C. Moya C. Moya is offline

Um, the venerable Paint program that's part of Windows can read gif's and
tif's and save in either format. Just open the file in Paint (it's in the
Accessories folder of the Start Menu) and "SaveAs" whatever you want.

--
-C. Moya
www.cmoya.com

"JoAnn Paules [MVP]" wrote in message
Try to find some software that can convert the .gif to a .tif.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

~~~~~
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

"deko" wrote in message
. ..
I know how use Microsoft Office Document Imaging to send a TIFF file to
Word via OCR. But how can I OCR a gif into Word?

Do I have to first print it, then scan it into a TIFF, then use Microsoft
Office Document Imaging to OCR it into Word?

Any suggestions welcome!

Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Either use some proper OCR software that will work with GIF files, convert
the GIF to TIFF (the trial of SnagIt will do that) or use your original idea
of rescanning to TIFF.

deko wrote:
I know how use Microsoft Office Document Imaging to send a TIFF file
to Word via OCR. But how can I OCR a gif into Word?

Do I have to first print it, then scan it into a TIFF, then use
Microsoft Office Document Imaging to OCR it into Word?

Any suggestions welcome!

Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
C. Moya C. Moya is offline

No need to for all of that. Windows Paint can do it (Open gif and SaveAs
tif... among others). Sheesh.

--
-C. Moya
www.cmoya.com

deko wrote:
I know how use Microsoft Office Document Imaging to send a TIFF file
to Word via OCR. But how can I OCR a gif into Word?

Do I have to first print it, then scan it into a TIFF, then use
Microsoft Office Document Imaging to OCR it into Word?

Any suggestions welcome!

Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Thank heavens it's not just me that forgets that. I'll bet I don't use Paint
more than once every two or three years.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

~~~~~

deko wrote:
I know how use Microsoft Office Document Imaging to send a TIFF file
to Word via OCR. But how can I OCR a gif into Word?

Do I have to first print it, then scan it into a TIFF, then use
Microsoft Office Document Imaging to OCR it into Word?

Any suggestions welcome!

Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
C. Moya C. Moya is offline

Ha! You're not alone. Whenever I get a shrunken unreadable screenshot (of
some error or bug) embedded in a Word document I just laugh. Apparently
people know how to use the PrntScrn button but not that they can save it
directly as a JPG in Paint and send it to me.

I seriously think that with a little bit of effort, sprucing up and
improvements, and marketing Microsoft could "repackage" the Accessories in
Windows that everybody ignores (Paint, Address Book, etc) and seriously
compete with Apple's iLife.