Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default nomal style show up in Document Map

This prevention is what surprised me. The Doc Map used to add outline
levels even if Heading levels were already in use throughout the
document, and I can't imagine that I didn't test a doc with the first
paragraph using a Heading (possible but doubtful).

So this is a new way to prevent the problem, to format the first
paragraph, and it sounds like Word has gotten smarter. Thanks for the tips!

(Sorry, missed this thread for a while)

Aeneas wrote:
It has prevented the problem from occurring in Word 2007 documents 100% of
the time when I format the first paragraph with a built-in heading style
before I open the Document Map for the first time. The suggestions I made re
selecting all instances of paragraphs formatted with the Normal style and
changing the Outline Level to Body Text, formatting a paragraph (preferably
the 1st with a built-in Heading style), etc. has also worked without
exception on older documents that I've converted to the .docx file format.

"Daiya Mitchell" wrote:

Hi Aeneas,

Aeneas wrote:

Apply a built-in
heading style (Heading 1, Heading 2, etc.) to a heading somewhere in the
document, preferably at the beginning. Then save the document. When you
reopen the document, your problem should be gone.

Is this another way to prevent the Doc Map problem from re-occurring? I
tested this previously, and it didn't work, but Word does seem to be
respecting existing heading styles in more recent versions. Is that
your experience?

Daiya