Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Khawar Khawar is offline

Default How to group the citations together

Hi,

How do I group together a bunch of citations? What i mean how can I convert
citations from [1,2,3,4] to [1-4]?

I am using IEEE style with square brackets.

thanks,

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
p0 p0 is offline

On 17 aug, 23:29, Khawar wrote:
Hi,

How do I group together a bunch of citations? What i mean how can I convert
citations from [1,2,3,4] to [1-4]?

*I am using IEEE style with square brackets.

thanks,

Unfortunately, inter in-text citation does not allow for such
formatting rules.

One solution is to, once you finished your document, move your mouse
over the in-text citation, click on the arrow to the right and select
'Convert citation to static text'. Then you can update the formatting
any way you want.

Alternatively, you could hide part of the in-text citation by setting
the font of the selected part to 'Hidden'. Be aware though that
grouped in-text citations all belong to one field and that a field
update will therefore make the hidden parts reappear. So just like the
previous solution, you should do this only after you finished your
document.

Yves
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Unless there's something going on here that I don't understand, what you've
said sounds like nonsense to me. The standard way to accomplish this is
exactly as grammatim stated it: you enter all the footnote/endnote
references in a sequence (you don't need the commas), then type an en dash
after the first or before the last and format the middle ones as Hidden.
This does not affect the display of the footnotes/endnotes themselves.

OTOH, instead of having four separate notes, you could equally well cite all
four sources in a single note, separated by semicolons.

"p0" wrote in message
On 17 aug, 23:29, Khawar wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
p0 p0 is offline

Suzanne,

I am assuming the original poster is using the Word 2007 bibliography
tools. Hence, what is displayed ([1,2,3,4]) is not something he wrote
himself but something which is generated by the citation stylesheets.
In that case the output he displays is actually nothing more than the
following field (with made-up references):

{ CITATION AUT99 \m CIT03 \m BIB05 \m XYZ07 }

with AUT99 being displayed as "[1,", CIT03 as "2,", BIB05 as "3," and
XYZ07 as "4]".

Whenever the author selects the bibliography formatting style on the
Reference tab, all CITATION and BIBLIOGRAPHY fields get reevaluated
and any part you have marked as hidden would be no longer hidden and
you would have to hide it again. It happened to me a few times when I
was editing a source and had to regenerate my bibliography only (not
my in-text citations). I know I should have clicked update field
instead, but the bibliography style selector is somehow more
convenient for me to reach.

Maybe more importantly, when the in-text citation is added through the
user interface, which I assume is the most likely way to do it for the
average Word user, the field result can not be manually edited. Only
if you add the field by hand, you can edit its result. So I would not
be surprised if the OP would be able to hide the unwanted text and
then came back here telling that he could not add the dash. The reason
why Microsoft does not allow you to edit the citation field result
when entered through the UI is discussed by Jennifer Michelstein at
http://blogs.msdn.com/joe_friend/arc...13/664960.aspx .

Yves

"p0" wrote in message

On 17 aug, 23:29, Khawar wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Since the beginning of the thread has been snipped, I can't tell, but I
didn't recall any reference to Word 2007. You may well be right, though
(especially given the use of the word "citations").

"p0" wrote in message

On 17 aug, 23:29, Khawar wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Suzanne,

The beginning of the thread was not snipped in the reply. It was just very short and didn't mention the version
=========
Hi,

How do I group together a bunch of citations? What i mean how can I convert
citations from [1,2,3,4] to [1-4]?

I am using IEEE style with square brackets.

thanks
=========
It is hard to tell if the first poster was referring to just 'following' the IEEE style in preparing his content and putting it
in manually in a Word document, or, if he was using the Word 2007 Citation/Bibliography tool with the IEEE Style sheet that Yves has
provided (IEEE isn't included in Word 2007) through his project on Microsoft's Codeplex site, http://codeplex.com/bibliography

Both Peter's and Yves reply could be helpful, depending on what the first poster was looking for help on
"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message ...
Since the beginning of the thread has been snipped, I can't tell, but I
didn't recall any reference to Word 2007. You may well be right, though
(especially given the use of the word "citations").

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP