dancingqueen

Default Spellchecker is freezing up all of a sudden

I have Word 2002, windows XP, and do medical transcription so months ago I
installed the Dorlands Medical spellchecker as my default spellchecker. I
have never had a problem with it until for no reason about 2 weeks ago, i was
spellchecking a report and the very first word that I had to change, it just
froze up and I had to ctrol-shift-esc, at which point the task manager window
said "not responding", so i had to reboot, come back into Word, pull up my
document, restart the spellchecker, and then it worked fine with no probs for
the rest of that document.

but.......the very next report, same thing happened, same result. It is
highly annoying to have this happen and it seems to particularly happen on
the first incorrect word that the spellchecker finds in the report that I
have to actually retype or fix myself versus a misspelled word that the
spellchecker suggests the correct word and I just have to hit the Change
button....it doesn't seem to freeze up on those types.....just the ones that
I have to manually type a letter or retype the word.....

I have not changed anything in my computer, Windows, or Word to account for
the sudden change. HELP! this is very time consuming and bothersome to have
to deal wtih on a nightly basis for every single reprot. The problem also is
that I have added hundreds of custom "autotext" words and phrases that I use
every day and I can't stomach the thought of having to lose all of them in
order to reload or delete and add the Word program, losing all of my months
of adding to my autotext entries.

any help is greatly appreciated!
barb
--