Jeanette

Default How to use Find and Replace for Auto Correct entries & symbols

When Auto Correct substitutes a Smiley Face for semi-colon parentheses, and
you later want to use Find and Replace to edit, how do you do it? And how do
you use Find and Replace to look for symbols you've inserted? Say you typed
all Smiley Faces, semi-colon parentheses, and want to change them all to
Frown Faces... what's the procedure?
garfield-n-odie

The smiley face is character code 74 from the Wingdings font, and
the frowny face is character code 76 from the Wingdings font.
For me, the easiest way to search and replace these characters is
to copy and paste them into the "Find what" and "Replace with"
boxes.

Jeanette wrote:

When Auto Correct substitutes a Smiley Face for semi-colon parentheses, and
you later want to use Find and Replace to edit, how do you do it? And how do
you use Find and Replace to look for symbols you've inserted? Say you typed
all Smiley Faces, semi-colon parentheses, and want to change them all to
Frown Faces... what's the procedure?

garfield-n-odie

Somewhere in your Word document, you already have smiley faces
and frowny faces, or else you wouldn't be asking this question,
right? You gave an example of wanting to replace all smiley
faces with frowny faces. To do this:
1. Copy a smiley face from your document, and paste it into
the "Find what" box in the Find and Replace dialog.
2. Copy a frowny face from your document, and paste it into
the "Replace with" box in the Find and Replace dialog.
3. Click on Replace All in the Find and Replace dialog.

Jeanette wrote:

When Auto Correct substitutes a Smiley Face for semi-colon parentheses, and
you later want to use Find and Replace to edit, how do you do it? And how do
you use Find and Replace to look for symbols you've inserted? Say you typed
all Smiley Faces, semi-colon parentheses, and want to change them all to
Frown Faces... what's the procedure?

Jeanette

When I Ctrl C-Ctrl V the smiley face into Find, all I get is a capital J. I
have Word 2000, btw. I am so frustrated with this, and not being able to make
it do what I want it to do! Thanks for any help...

Jeanette wrote:

When Auto Correct substitutes a Smiley Face for semi-colon parentheses, and
you later want to use Find and Replace to edit, how do you do it? And how do
you use Find and Replace to look for symbols you've inserted? Say you typed
all Smiley Faces, semi-colon parentheses, and want to change them all to
Frown Faces... what's the procedure?

Tony Jollans

Find and Replace doesn't work very well with symbol fonts. Indeed dealing
with them at all away from the UI is a bit of a pain. The capital J is a
result of truncation of double byte input - and is a restriction of the text
box input format.

It is possible to find a smiley face in Word 2000 by entering the unicode
value in the Find box

Press and hold Alt
Type 61514 on the numeric keypad (NOT the numbers across the top of the
keyboard)
Release Alt

This will work for any character if you know the value - but there's no
simple way to find it out in Word 2000. Also note that if you cancel the
Find and Replace and reinvoke it, you will have to reinput the numeric
code - Word 2000 will use what you enter but doesn't have the capacity to
remember it properly - a full explanation is way beyond this newsgroup.

--
Enjoy,
Tony