Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Doug Freese

Default Table

I received a .doc file to imbed into a master doc. The table inserts
just fine and it seem to be a simple(4X2) table with each slot
containing a business card. I can not tell what each slot contains but
would guess it's a .jpg/bmp. I can click on table entry and it will
allow me to massage it with format picture and why I think it's probably
jpg although I don't think what is in the slot makes a difference.

I would like to remove an entry and replace it. The problem - it
deletes quite nicely but then I can do nothing with the empty slot. If I
click on it behaves like it is protected. Any idea what I need to do
to get addressibility to the entry so I can try inserting something
different in the slot?

I'm running Office 2000 on XP if it makes a difference

-Doug Freese

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh]

Hi Doug:

Well, I can confidently state that this "cannot happen" :-) In other words,
if you can delete from a table, you can insert into it.

So what I suspect has happened is that either the Table or the Pictures are
in a different "layer" of the document. I suspect that the "table" is a
drawing in the header or footer of the document, and that the pictures are
"floating" in the graphics layer.

Try ViewHeaders and Footers. What changes? Chances are you can now access
the table but not the pictures...

If I were you, I would make a new table in a new document and copy the
pictures into it. That way YOU know what you're dealing with.

Oh, and if you really are dealing with a "Master Document", as opposed to an
ordinary Word document into which you are adding pieces, get rid of it (Look
up Master Document in the Word help for more information). As soon as you
start taking on complex formatting in a Master Document, the considerations
and limitations take on the size of War and Peace...

Cheers

On 20/11/05 8:52 AM, in article
, "Doug Freese"
wrote:

I received a .doc file to imbed into a master doc. The table inserts
just fine and it seem to be a simple(4X2) table with each slot
containing a business card. I can not tell what each slot contains but
would guess it's a .jpg/bmp. I can click on table entry and it will
allow me to massage it with format picture and why I think it's probably
jpg although I don't think what is in the slot makes a difference.

I would like to remove an entry and replace it. The problem - it
deletes quite nicely but then I can do nothing with the empty slot. If I
click on it behaves like it is protected. Any idea what I need to do
to get addressibility to the entry so I can try inserting something
different in the slot?

I'm running Office 2000 on XP if it makes a difference

-Doug Freese

me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Consultant Technical Writer
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410