Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Kate

Default Problem applying styles in Word

Brand new document, cleared all formatting, created two different styles, did
not save to template.

Applied style 1 to paragraph 1, applied style 2 to paragraph 2. Worked fine.
Ditto to the following 2 paragraphs.

Then when I apply style 1 to paragraph 5, it's wrong, even when I (with the
paragraph highlighted) look in Formatting:Paragraph, or Styles, and it
indicates the correct parameters. What the frell?? I have now spent hours on
one stupid, short, simple document.

I am --- or thought I was --- a seasoned Word user. I use Quark,
Illustrator, TeX, XML. This is ridiculous.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

If you're using a recent version of Word, make sure that when you apply the
style to the paragraph you either have the selection collapsed to a point
(that is, you just click in the paragraph without selecting anything) or you
have the entire paragraph selected. Otherwise Word applies your paragraph
style to selected text as character formatting.

"Kate" wrote in message
Brand new document, cleared all formatting, created two different styles,

did
not save to template.

Applied style 1 to paragraph 1, applied style 2 to paragraph 2. Worked

fine.
Ditto to the following 2 paragraphs.

Then when I apply style 1 to paragraph 5, it's wrong, even when I (with

the
paragraph highlighted) look in Formatting:Paragraph, or Styles, and it
indicates the correct parameters. What the frell?? I have now spent hours

on
one stupid, short, simple document.

I am --- or thought I was --- a seasoned Word user. I use Quark,
Illustrator, TeX, XML. This is ridiculous.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Stefan Blom

There could be direct formatting in the paragraph overriding the
settings of the style. Select the problem paragraph, and then do the
following: press Ctrl+SpaceBar to remove font formatting not in style,
and press Ctrl+Q to remove paragraph formatting not in style.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP