Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
CAJ

Default pasting tables causes nesting

When I cut or copy a table from my Word document and paste it back in another
location within the document, part of the table becomes nested inside the
rest. The caption is also enclosed in the 'outer' table.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Stefan Blom

Before cutting or copying a table, make sure that you select its
columns rather than the entire table, that is, make sure *not* to
select the end-of-row markers. On the Edit menu, you'll see "Paste
Columns". On the other hand, if you selected the entire table
(including the end-of-row markers), you'll see "Paste as Nested Table"
on the Edit menu.

The end-of-row marker is an example of a so-called nonprinting
character. To see them, you can press the ¶ button on the Standard
toolbar. For more information, see
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting/NonPrintChars.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"CAJ" wrote in message
When I cut or copy a table from my Word document and paste it back
in another
location within the document, part of the table becomes nested
inside the
rest. The caption is also enclosed in the 'outer' table.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Stefan Blom

My previous reply may have been irrelevant for your situation.
Instead, make sure to turn off the table wrap (TableTable Properties,
Table tab), to get control over the paste operation.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"CAJ" wrote in message
When I cut or copy a table from my Word document and paste it back

in another
location within the document, part of the table becomes nested

inside the
rest. The caption is also enclosed in the 'outer' table.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
CAJ

Unresolved... Table wrap is off. "Paste as nested table" only appears on the
menu when pasting one table into another, which is not the case here.
Selecting columns only (without the non-printing end-of-row markers) produces
the same result as selecting the whole table, markers included.

Not all tables present this problem - others in same document paste as
expected, even those with merged cells, so I can't consistently reproduce the
error.

"CAJ" wrote in message
When I cut or copy a table from my Word document and paste it back

in another
location within the document, part of the table becomes nested

inside the
rest. The caption is also enclosed in the 'outer' table.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Stefan Blom

If the problem is with a specific document, the reason could be
corruption. For fixes, see:
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/apperrors/CorruptDoc.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"CAJ" wrote in message
When I cut or copy a table from my Word document and paste it

back
in another
location within the document, part of the table becomes nested

inside the
rest. The caption is also enclosed in the 'outer' table.

HELP copying and pasting tables from one doc to another Romain Cooper Tables 3 August 7th 05 05:02 PM
HELP copying and pasting tables from one doc to another Romain Cooper Tables 0 August 5th 05 04:29 PM
pasting tables in Word DonsKid Tables 1 June 3rd 05 06:47 PM
Pasting tables in Word 2002 Laura Microsoft Word Help 1 January 27th 05 04:47 AM
Huge file size after pasting in tables jsl Tables 1 December 6th 04 06:04 PM