Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
marsha

Default page number problem

I have a paper in Turabian format, with footnotes and bibliography. The
title page has no page number. The first page is numbered at the bottom
center. The body of the paper is numbered at the top right. The
bibliography is numbered at the bottom center. I cannot get Word to allow
me to number the paper the way I need it. It either puts all the numbers at
the top or bottom, but will not allow me to change them, even when I try
section breaks. If I try to do it manually, then all the page numbers
become the same on all the pages. How do I turn off page numbers for one
section of the paper and allow it to do page numbers in the other part of
the paper.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...rontMatter.htm and
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/HeaderFooter.htm for the general
principles.

Please do not multi-post.

"marsha" wrote in message
I have a paper in Turabian format, with footnotes and bibliography. The
title page has no page number. The first page is numbered at the bottom
center. The body of the paper is numbered at the top right. The
bibliography is numbered at the bottom center. I cannot get Word to allow
me to number the paper the way I need it. It either puts all the numbers

at
the top or bottom, but will not allow me to change them, even when I try
section breaks. If I try to do it manually, then all the page numbers
become the same on all the pages. How do I turn off page numbers for one
section of the paper and allow it to do page numbers in the other part of
the paper.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
marsha

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...rontMatter.htm and
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/HeaderFooter.htm for the general
principles.

Please do not multi-post.

I have studied these thoroughly and they do not solve the problem.

Which ng is the most appropriate for this question??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Jackie

Marsha you should create a new page section break for each part of the
document you want to have different page no's in. then click on view
headers/footers. Make sure the keep with next option is turned off for
all sections. Then apply the correct page numbering in each section.
Use the 'next footer' button on the headers/footer toolbar to move
between each section.
marsha wrote:
I have a paper in Turabian format, with footnotes and bibliography. The
title page has no page number. The first page is numbered at the bottom
center. The body of the paper is numbered at the top right. The
bibliography is numbered at the bottom center. I cannot get Word to allow
me to number the paper the way I need it. It either puts all the numbers at
the top or bottom, but will not allow me to change them, even when I try
section breaks. If I try to do it manually, then all the page numbers
become the same on all the pages. How do I turn off page numbers for one
section of the paper and allow it to do page numbers in the other part of
the paper.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Jackie

Marsha you should create a new page section break for each part of the
document you want to have a different page no. Don't worry about the
results at this point. Next - click on view, headers/footers. Using
the toolbar go through each header/footer and remove the 'same as
previous setting'. Now apply the page no. you require in each
setting, still using the header/footer toolbar to apply the
number/change page setup and move to the next header/footer. Hope
this helps.
marsha wrote:
I have a paper in Turabian format, with footnotes and bibliography. The
title page has no page number. The first page is numbered at the bottom
center. The body of the paper is numbered at the top right. The
bibliography is numbered at the bottom center. I cannot get Word to allow
me to number the paper the way I need it. It either puts all the numbers at
the top or bottom, but will not allow me to change them, even when I try
section breaks. If I try to do it manually, then all the page numbers
become the same on all the pages. How do I turn off page numbers for one
section of the paper and allow it to do page numbers in the other part of
the paper.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

It is NOT necessary to insert a section break for every change in number
location if the change is between the first page and remaining pages of a
section or for odd and even pages. Nor is it necessary to disable "Link to
Previous/Same as Previous" just to restart numbering or change the number
format, only to change the number position. For more, see
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/HeaderFooter.htm and
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...rontMatter.htm

oups.com...