Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Rick Stahl

Default merged new document has Section Breaks, not Continuous

I have a table in Word that links to an Excel file via mail merge by the use
of inserted merge fields. The problem I have is that when I merge to a new
document, only 1 table is generated per page instead of 4 tables per page (2
table per column with 2 columns per page). I noticed that a "Section Break
original template document. If I manually delete these Section Breaks then
I can obtain the 4 tables on one page. My template document contains 1
table less than 1/4 of total page in upper left region of page, is formatted
for 2 columns, and is set to File Page Setup Layout Section start
Continuous. Can someone please help me so that I end up with 4 tables per
page ? Thank you !

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

To do that, you will need to be using a Catalog (or in Word XP and later, a
Directory) type mailmerge main document.

Alternatively, insert the other three tables into the mail merge main
document (copy and paste the first one) and before the first merge field in
the second, third and fourth table, insert a Next Record field

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Rick Stahl" wrote in message
I have a table in Word that links to an Excel file via mail merge by the
use of inserted merge fields. The problem I have is that when I merge to a
new document, only 1 table is generated per page instead of 4 tables per
page (2 table per column with 2 columns per page). I noticed that a
"Section Break (Next Page) is generated in the new document but I do not
see it in the original template document. If I manually delete these
Section Breaks then I can obtain the 4 tables on one page. My template
document contains 1 table less than 1/4 of total page in upper left region
of page, is formatted for 2 columns, and is set to File Page Setup
Layout Section start Continuous. Can someone please help me so that I
end up with 4 tables per page ? Thank you !

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Rick Stahl

Thank you. Your alternative suggestion worked well. I appreciate it very
much. I am not familiar with using Catalog ? I am currently using Word
2002. If you could shed some light on the Catalog feature I would also be
willing to give it a try if you think it may be better. Thanks again.

"Rick Stahl" wrote in message
I have a table in Word that links to an Excel file via mail merge by the
use of inserted merge fields. The problem I have is that when I merge to
a new document, only 1 table is generated per page instead of 4 tables per
page (2 table per column with 2 columns per page). I noticed that a
"Section Break (Next Page) is generated in the new document but I do not
see it in the original template document. If I manually delete these
Section Breaks then I can obtain the 4 tables on one page. My template
document contains 1 table less than 1/4 of total page in upper left region
of page, is formatted for 2 columns, and is set to File Page Setup
Layout Section start Continuous. Can someone please help me so that I
end up with 4 tables per page ? Thank you !

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

In Word 2002, it's called a directory type mail merge.

In your case, you would have set up the table just one time with two empty
paragraphs after the table and then execute the merge to a new document.