Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
sd_eds

Default Main Merge questions

Hi,

I have a few questions on creating a mail merge for Word 2003 I hope
someone will be able to answer.

1. Can checkboxes be used as a merge object? If a field is populated,
the checkbox will be filled.
2. I think I have seen it before but I am unsure of how to collapse
sections based on the value of a certain field. (ie. If a contact field
is populated, the fields associated with that contact are shown. If it
is not populated, it wont show the fields)
3. Can I set up a mail merge form, distribute it out for editing, and
see the changes in the data source?

Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

For the check boxes, use an If...then...Else field and use symbols from the
InsertSymbol dialog as the items to be displayed.

For 2, once again use an If...then...Else field

For 3, you can send out the data source and get people to edit that. If
necessary, use the datasource to create a directory type mailmerge, in which
you have the merge fields in the cells of a one row table. Execute that to
a new document and then insert a row at the top into which you enter the
field names. Then send that document out. Subsequently, use that document
as a data source.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"sd_eds" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

I have a few questions on creating a mail merge for Word 2003 I hope
someone will be able to answer.

1. Can checkboxes be used as a merge object? If a field is populated,
the checkbox will be filled.
2. I think I have seen it before but I am unsure of how to collapse
sections based on the value of a certain field. (ie. If a contact field
is populated, the fields associated with that contact are shown. If it
is not populated, it wont show the fields)
3. Can I set up a mail merge form, distribute it out for editing, and
see the changes in the data source?

Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
sd_eds

Doug Robbins - Word MVP wrote:
For the check boxes, use an If...then...Else field and use symbols from the
InsertSymbol dialog as the items to be displayed.

For 2, once again use an If...then...Else field

For 3, you can send out the data source and get people to edit that. If
necessary, use the datasource to create a directory type mailmerge, in which
you have the merge fields in the cells of a one row table. Execute that to
a new document and then insert a row at the top into which you enter the
field names. Then send that document out. Subsequently, use that document
as a data source.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Doug,

Thanks for answering my questions. Could I bug you for additional
clarification?

1. Can you provide me with a sample syntax?
2. Do I have to creata a container for the section that I want to
show/hide? Do I bind the fields I want to show/hide?
3. Thanks for the info on this.

Cindy M -WordMVP-

. com
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Hi Sd_eds,

1. Can you provide me with a sample syntax?

You'll find a sample in the Mail Merge FAQ on my website
("Displaying Yes/No info")

2. Do I have to creata a container for the section that I want to
show/hide? Do I bind the fields I want to show/hide?

The Word IF field is set up on this pattern
{ IF "{ Mergefield Test }2 = "Test value" "True response"
"False response" }

The { } field brackets can only be created by pressing Ctrl+F9,
don't try to type the symbols from the keyboard, it won't work.

The "responses" are literal text you've placed in "quotes". This
can include any and everything, such as mergefields, page breaks,
tables, etc. If the "responses" are very complex, the easiest way
to generate the field is to first set up the responses. Put
"quotes" at the beginning and end of each response. Select the
entirety, including the quotes. Press Ctrl+F9 to insert field
brackets around the selection. Now complete the "front" of the IF
field.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindymeister (last update Jun 8
2004)
http://www.word.mvps.org

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any follow
question or reply in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
sd_eds

Thank you for the help. It may not be the prettiest solution but it is
working and working well. I guess thats all that counts.