Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Kokomojo

Default No print option in Step 6 of Directory mail merge

I'm using the Mail Merge feature in Word 2003 to create a Directory. In Step
6, it gives me only one option, to merge to a New Document. With letters,
labels and envelopes, it gives me 2 options, a New Document or to print
directly. Why isn't there the print option when creating a directory?

Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor

Because directory merges frequently need further editing once merged. You
should get the option, if the extra step irks, from the mailmerge toolbar.

Kokomojo wrote:
I'm using the Mail Merge feature in Word 2003 to create a Directory.
In Step 6, it gives me only one option, to merge to a New Document.
With letters, labels and envelopes, it gives me 2 options, a New
Document or to print directly. Why isn't there the print option when
creating a directory?

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

The only destination from which you can merge a directory type mailmerge is
to a new document.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Kokomojo" wrote in message
I'm using the Mail Merge feature in Word 2003 to create a Directory. In
Step
6, it gives me only one option, to merge to a New Document. With letters,
labels and envelopes, it gives me 2 options, a New Document or to print
directly. Why isn't there the print option when creating a directory?

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Hi Graham,

Even from the toolbar, you cannot execute a directory merge to the printer.

It you try, you will get a message telling you that "You cannot send a
catalog created by merging documents directly to mail, fax, or a printer."

Looks like they did not update the error message when moving from 2000 to
XP/2003 in that it still mentions "catalog"