Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
a_ryan1972

Default Word 2000 Merge with Excel Workbook

Hi, I'm using Word 2000 Professional on a computer running Windows XP SP 2.
I'm trying to create a mail merge for labels. My data source is an Excel
workbook that has more than one worksheet. I'd like to merge the data from
only one worksheet, but when I open the data source, my only choice is Entire
Worksheet. is there a way to merge only one of the worksheets?

Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Peter Jamieson

In Word 2000, "Entire Worksheet" means the first Worksheet in the Workbook
(i.e., the first one in the list of tabs at the bottom of the workbook when
you open it in Excel).

At least, that's when you open using the default "connection method", which
is DDE in Word 2000.

So the simplest method to get the sheet you want is to move it to the front
of the workbook, or (for example) to copy it to the first sheet in a new
workbook, if the sheet doesn't have references to other pages).

However, if you can't do that, you can change the connection method. When
you are in the Open Data Source dialog box, select your workbook as before,
then check Select Method and continue. You should now see an addiitional
dialog box. Try selecting "Microsoft Excel Worksheet via Converter" or
"Excel Files via ODBC"

If you select "Microsoft Excel Worksheet via Converter", you should see a
dialog box with two text boxes. The top one says Entire Workbook. Click the
dropdown and pick the sheet you want, and leave "Entire Worksheet" in "Name
or Cell Range". As far as I know "Format for Mail Merge doesn't do anything
in Word 2000 so you can ignore it. Click OK.

If you select the ODBC option, you'll see yet another dialog box titled
"Select Table". It will probably have an empty list of tables. If possible,
check the Workbook you want in shown in the drop-down at the bottom. It
should be, as long as you selected it in Open Data Source - if the file is
the only one listed in Open Data SOurce I sometimes forget to select it, and
in that case the name may be the name of another sheet. It's sometimes
difficult to tell because you can't always see the full pathname of the
file). Click Options, and select at least Tables and System Tables. You
should see the list of sheets. Pick the one you want, and press OK.

Gotchas:
a. when you change the connection method from DDE to Converter or ODBC, the
way Word displays your Merge data may change. You may have to use formatting
codes in fields to get what you want, which will in general be harder.
b. If you move to Word 2002/2003, the default method changed to OLEDB. You
can still use DDE or ODBC, but the way to select the connection method has
changed - you have to check Word Tools|Options|General|Confirm conversions
at open. Then, in the "Select Data Source" Dialog, select your file,
proceed, and the connection method box should open automatically. Word 2003
no longer comes with the Converter, which is no longer supported.

Peter Jamieson

news

Envelope Address GR New Users 5 April 24th 05 09:48 PM
Specific Email Merge w/ Specific Attachements Mark B Mailmerge 9 February 21st 05 05:10 AM
WORD 2000 pages layout when EXCEL table inserted Quetzalcoatl Page Layout 0 January 4th 05 10:13 PM