Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Emerald53

Default What to do about changes in formatting within a table.

I have a table set up to mimic spine labels for library books. The formatting
is similar throughout the table, with the exception of the last three
vertical rows, but that's neither here nor there. What happens every so often
is that within one cell (for one label), the formatting changes to e x p a n
d e d text and has a blue underline. I can't for the life of me change it
back to the way i want it.

Can anyone help? Thanks in advance!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
garfield-n-odie [MVP]

Blue underline indicates a hyperlink. Select the table cell and
press Ctrl+Shift+F9 to convert the hyperlink back to normal text.

Or if you don't want Word to automatically convert text into
hyperlinks, then in Word click on Tools | AutoCorrect Options |
AutoFormat As You Type | uncheck the "Internet and network paths
with hyperlinks" box | OK.

Emerald53 wrote:

I have a table set up to mimic spine labels for library books. The formatting
is similar throughout the table, with the exception of the last three
vertical rows, but that's neither here nor there. What happens every so often
is that within one cell (for one label), the formatting changes to e x p a n
d e d text and has a blue underline. I can't for the life of me change it
back to the way i want it.

Can anyone help? Thanks in advance!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Emerald53

The blue underlining isn't the same as a link. It's a thincker line, more of
a sky blue than regular blue.

"Emerald53" wrote:

I have a table set up to mimic spine labels for library books. The formatting
is similar throughout the table, with the exception of the last three
vertical rows, but that's neither here nor there. What happens every so often
is that within one cell (for one label), the formatting changes to e x p a n
d e d text and has a blue underline. I can't for the life of me change it
back to the way i want it.

Can anyone help? Thanks in advance!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Klaus Linke

"Emerald53" wrote:
I have a table set up to mimic spine labels for library books. The
formatting
is similar throughout the table, with the exception of the last three
vertical rows, but that's neither here nor there. What happens every so
often
is that within one cell (for one label), the formatting changes to e x p a
d e d text and has a blue underline. I can't for the life of me change it
back to the way i want it.

Can anyone help? Thanks in advance!

Have you looked at the applied style, and how that is defined?
Have you looked at "Format Font Character spacing tab"?

The spacing could also be "letter spacing" caused by Format Paragraph
Alignment = Distributed (Ctrl+Shift+J).
Then it should go away if you apply some other alignment (or change the
style correspondingly, if it's in the style definition).

Regards,
Klaus

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Emerald53

Hi Klaus -

I looked in FormatFontCharacter spacing. It did say "expanded" in there. I
changed it to normal and hit okay, but it would not change the two cells i
had selected. Then when i tried again, there's nothing in the "Spacing" box.
I can arrow down to Normal, but it still doesn't change.

FormatParagraphAlignment is "centred", which is how i want it.

Seems like we're on the right track, though - thank you!

"Klaus Linke" wrote:

"Emerald53" wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Klaus Linke

Argh, I know what it is:

Table Table properties Cell Options... Fit text.

I came across FormatFitText some months ago.
Stefan Blom brought it up again just a couple of days back... and I had
nearly forgotten it again.

It seems to be buggy: I just tried to turn it off with a macro, and nothing
happened.
I added the "FormatFitText" command button to a toolbar, and clicked
"Remove" in the dialog, and nothing happened.
So maybe you'll have to change it back from the Table properties dialog...
No idea how it got turned on in the first place. I'm pretty sure there isn't
a default keyboard shortcut for that command.

:-/ Klaus