Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
ldgoss

Default Getting international addresses to format correctly in a mail merg

Outlook 2003 seems to understand how to format international address, but
when I do a mail merge for address labels they format incorrectly. The
particular problem is where the postal code goes for certain countries. Here
is an example:

Outlook 2003 (correct):
5009 Cordoba
Argentina

Mail merge (incorrect):
Cordoba 5009
Argentina

I am using the insert address block to format the address and the, "Format
address according to the destination/region" checked.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Peter Jamieson

I'm sure Word's international formatting is better than when I last looked,
but as you say it certainly reverses the code and city in the case you
mention and perhaps others. When I last looked at how Outlook worked with
addresses, I concluded that only a small number of "patterns" were in use
worldwide (I think it was only 5 or 6), and I have to conclude that Outlook
either usually or always gets it right but that Word sometimes gets it
wrong.

I suspect that the only things you can do are
a. report the problem to Microsoft, e.g. by e-mailing
(don't expect anything to be fixed, though!)
b. use individual fields rather than the Addressblock, at least for those
countries where you know Word gets it wrong. Graham Mayor has relevant pages
on his website that should help you he

http://www.gmayor.com/mail_merge_lab...th_word_xp.htm and

Peter Jamieson

"ldgoss" wrote in message
Outlook 2003 seems to understand how to format international address, but
when I do a mail merge for address labels they format incorrectly. The
particular problem is where the postal code goes for certain countries.
Here
is an example:

Outlook 2003 (correct):
5009 Cordoba
Argentina

Mail merge (incorrect):
Cordoba 5009
Argentina

I am using the insert address block to format the address and the, "Format
address according to the destination/region" checked.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Don't use the Address Block. Just insert the individual merge fields that
you want to use in the configuration that YOU want them.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP