Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Michael Ryle

Default Word loses network connection

I'm using Word 2003 on a TabletPC with a wireless connection to a workgroup.

If the TabletPC goes into suspend mode because of a timeout, or because I
close the lid to the computer, the wireless connection is lost, but it is
reestablished as soon as the system wakes up again.

If I'm editing a Word document that lives on another workstation on the
network, and the system goes into suspend mode, Word does not reconnect when
the system wakes up. Instead it makes the document I'm editing read-only and
gives me the following message:

"Word cannot establish a network connection with this document after the
system resumed from suspend mode."

Anyone know a solution or a workaround? I find it strange that Word isn't
smart enough to recognize the connection has been reestablished.

The only thing I know to do in this case is to save the Word file locally
and then copy it to the network location, which kind of defeats the purpose
of having a network.

Thanks.