Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Sunshine

Default table in word document

I HAVE MULTIPLE WEEKLY TIME SHEETS CREATED IN A WORD DOCUMENT WITH A TABLE
INSERTED.
EACH WEEK I HAVE TO GO INTO 2 FIELDS OF THE TABLE AND CHANGE EACH MULTIPLE
DOCUMENT.
IS THEIR A WAY OF CHANGING A FIELD ON MULTIPLY DOCUMENTS WITH OUT OPENING
EACH INDIVIDUAL
DOCUMENT?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?U3Vuc2hpbmU=?=,

I HAVE MULTIPLE WEEKLY TIME SHEETS CREATED IN A WORD DOCUMENT WITH A TABLE
INSERTED.
EACH WEEK I HAVE TO GO INTO 2 FIELDS OF THE TABLE AND CHANGE EACH MULTIPLE
DOCUMENT.
IS THEIR A WAY OF CHANGING A FIELD ON MULTIPLY DOCUMENTS WITH OUT OPENING
EACH INDIVIDUAL
DOCUMENT?

Only if the documents are created in Word 2003 and saved as WordProcessingML (XML).
Then it can be done using the usual XML programming tools/interfaces through
something like VB6 or .NET.

A possibility might be to have all this particular information in a separate Word
file, bookmarked. Then you could use Insert/File with the RANGE button to insert
the content of each bookmark in the appropriate place. Update the information in
this "central file", within the bookmarks, and it will update in the multiple
files. That would be the only non-programmed solution available.

Note: ALLCAPS is considered the equivalent of shouting (impolite). You'll find it
easier to carry on a discussion in Internet forums if you type normally.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any follow question or reply in
the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Sunshine

Cindy:
Thank you for your reply. I am new to your recommendations. So it might take
me a couple of days to sort - play with it. The word document - table was
created in Word 2003 and emailed to me, I use Word 2000. Do you think it
still can work?

Thanks again for your assistance, and reminding me of cap etiquette.

Sincerely,
Judy

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?U3Vuc2hpbmU=?=,

I HAVE MULTIPLE WEEKLY TIME SHEETS CREATED IN A WORD DOCUMENT WITH A TABLE
INSERTED.
EACH WEEK I HAVE TO GO INTO âœ2❠FIELDS OF THE TABLE AND CHANGE EACH MULTIPLE
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi Judy,

I am new to your recommendations. So it might take
me a couple of days to sort - play with it. The word document - table was
created in Word 2003 and emailed to me, I use Word 2000. Do you think it
still can work?

The suggestion with bookmarks and IncludeText fields (Insert/File + RANGE, with a link) should
work in all versions of Word, back to 6.0 :-) But I completely understand that the approach
appears a bit complicated (it is) and you'll need to do some experimenting to find out whehter
it can work for you. Don't hesitate to come back and ask if you have questions about the
procedure I outlined :-)

Note: some newer versions of Word, and some newer Service Packs, disable the automatic field
updating. If you notice the links aren't updating, Ctrl+A then F9 will force all the fields in
the body of the document to update. You should then see this article to get the details about
this new security measu

Prompt to update fields:
http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=330079
WD: How the Behavior of the Word Fields Changes After You Install the Word
Update