Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
C. Cunningham

Default Individual merge letters - add-in error cont.

Hi there,

This is a follow up to an issue I originally posted about on 1/17/05. I'm
using the add-in to merge letters to separate files found on Graham Mayor's
site http://www.gmayor.com/individual_merge_letters.htm.

My merge is setup in a Word document with Excel as the data source (system
info below). The merge to separate documents works fine if I'm merging the
whole list, or if I uncheck just a few records. However, when I go in and
only want to merge 3-4 records, it doesn't even give me the option to merge
to separate documents, it just performs the merge into one like it used to.

I downloaded the new version 19 of the add-in, hoping that would fix it, but
I'm still having the same issue.

Doug, Graham, I'm hoping one of you can help out on this.

Thanks!
Cara

System info:

Word 2002 Service pack 3
Excel 2002 Service pack 3
Operating on Windows XP Pro, Version 5.1.2600, Service Pack 2 Build 2600.
I have Outlook Express 6 installed on the system, but my company uses
GroupWise (Novell GroupWise 6.5) instead.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Two things that you can do:

Just delete the unwanted documents (almost as easy as unchecking which
records you don't want to merge)

Or, first execute a directory type merge in the main document of which you
have the mergefields in the cells of a one row table and for which you limit
the records to be merged, then insert a row at the top of the table into
which you add the field names and then save that document and use it as the
data source.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"C. Cunningham" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor

Thanks to the changes in the way merge interfaces with its data merges from
Excel have become unnecessarily problematic. One possible solution is to use
the old Excel filter (which you can download from my web site) which seems
to avoid this issue. At least I can't reproduce the problem in my tests with
it. Install the converter then from the Tools menu in Word, select Options.
Go to the General tab and check the box against the "Confirm conversions at
open" item. Then when you attach the data source to the mail merge main
document, choose the default Microsoft Excel worksheet via converter option'

The alternative is to do as Doug suggests and create a Word table from the
Excel data and use that as a data source.

C. Cunningham wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
C. Cunningham

Hello again,

Thanks for the suggestions, sorry I've been so long to reply. It's been
extremely busy, and I didn't have a chance to test the suggestions you've
both given, although I did find my own workaround. As long as I have
something to filter by, I can filter my list through the Mail Merge
Recipients dialog box, and then, once the list is narrowed in this way, the
merge works fine.

Thanks as always for your support!
Cara