Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
mfreecox

Default how many words/characters are allowed in a table cell?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Tony Jollans

As many as you want.

You can constrain the cell size but the contents can go on beyond what is
visible.

If you have a Form Field inside your table cell (or anywhere else) you can
limit the number of characters which can be typed into it.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Helmut Weber

Hi Tony,

at least here and now,
a document consisting of nothing but
a 1 row 1 column table spanning 160 pages
wasn't a problem. ;-)

--
Greetings from Bavaria, Germany

Helmut Weber, MVP WordVBA

Win XP, Office 2003
"red.sys" & Chr$(64) & "t-online.de"
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
mfreecox

that's great. maybe I should re-phrase question to - how many
words/characters are visible in a table cell within Word?

"Tony Jollans" wrote:

As many as you want.

You can constrain the cell size but the contents can go on beyond what is
visible.

If you have a Form Field inside your table cell (or anywhere else) you can
limit the number of characters which can be typed into it.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Helmut Weber

Hi,

¦lol¦

for a 1-cell-table full of "m",
spanning 160 pages,
activedocument.characters.count results in
"not responding"

Maybe I should have waited till tomorrow.

--
Greetings from Bavaria, Germany

Helmut Weber, MVP WordVBA

Win XP, Office 2003
"red.sys" & Chr$(64) & "t-online.de"

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Tony Jollans

The answer is essentially the same - as many as you want. You define the
size of the table cell.

Rather foolishly perhaps I did what Helmut did - created a one row one
column table, typed in =rand(200,99) and got 225 pages - character count
took perhaps a minute or more but came back at 910603.

Theoretical maximum is I suppose around the theoretical maximum document
size of 32Mb.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"Tony Jollans" wrote:

As many as you want.

You can constrain the cell size but the contents can go on beyond what

is
visible.

If you have a Form Field inside your table cell (or anywhere else) you

can
limit the number of characters which can be typed into it.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Jezebel

You're asking the wrong question. The literal answer you've had already from
others: 'as many as you want'. But as you will find (and as Helmut as found)
you run into formatting problems long before you hit technical limits. If
you have a table cell with more content than fits on one page, then either
you shouldn't be using a table or you shouldn't be using Word.

What are you actually trying to do?