Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jonathan

Default Original v/s Final Markup

Apologies if this is a repeat question, but I've checked a lot of posts and
none seem to cover this. How is what follows possible?

WD2002 - a doc with two minor tracked changes - they don't show in
Final+Markup, both show in Original+Markup

WD2003 - same doc - one of the changes shows in Final+Markup, both show in
Original+Markup

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jonathan

Thank you for picking this up so quickly.

My 'Show' options are set to show all four items (comments, insertions etc)
and Balloons is set to Always

Under Original+markup it shows an 'Insertion' of a short phrase and a 'Field
Code Changed' where there is no field code now. Under Final+markup it still
shows the field code one.

I can accept all changes and both will vanish, so that's fine, but I was
puzzled at the way WD2003 showed that field code one under Final but using
WD2002 it did not. I assume Original shows markup at all because that
particular doc version was inherited with unaccepted items, but am again
puzzled that it needs a special 'accept all changes' to get rid of it

"Jonathan" wrote in message
Apologies if this is a repeat question, but I've checked a lot of posts

and
none seem to cover this. How is what follows possible?

WD2002 - a doc with two minor tracked changes - they don't show in
Final+Markup, both show in Original+Markup

WD2003 - same doc - one of the changes shows in Final+Markup, both show in
Original+Markup

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Field codes are often changed by printing or Print Previewing, so it's
entirely possible that a "change" in a field code might be present in one
doc and not in another (but a total deletion of a field code would be a
different matter. There are some differences between Word 2002 and 2003 in
Track Changes, notably that, except with a Registry edit, it is not possible
to specifically format deletions. For some reason, many users seem them not
marked in any way if balloons are not used (or in Normal view); I always saw
them as struck through; I don't know what caused this discrepancy, but the
users who saw no formatting were justifiably dismayed.

As for Original Showing Markup, it is the flip side of Final Showing Markup.
The latter shows deletions in balloons and insertions as plain text in the
document body. The former shows deleted text in place and insertions in
balloons. In other words, in each case, the document body itself shows the
Original or Final version, with the changes in balloons.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

If they're minor, you may just be missing the formatting in the Final

view.
Are you using balloons or some other type of formatting?

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Jonathan" wrote in message
Apologies if this is a repeat question, but I've checked a lot of

posts
and
none seem to cover this. How is what follows possible?

WD2002 - a doc with two minor tracked changes - they don't show in
Final+Markup, both show in Original+Markup

WD2003 - same doc - one of the changes shows in Final+Markup, both

show in
Original+Markup

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Glad I could help.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Field codes are often changed by printing or Print Previewing, so it's
entirely possible that a "change" in a field code might be present in

one
doc and not in another (but a total deletion of a field code would be a
different matter. There are some differences between Word 2002 and 2003

in
Track Changes, notably that, except with a Registry edit, it is not

possible
to specifically format deletions. For some reason, many users see them