Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Jauchart

Default Placeholders for graphics?

I have a very large manuscript, with many footnotes. I also need to import
into it many charts, tables, and graphics. As it crashed once, I am trying to
reduce the amount of baggage to what is necessary. I have been told that
instead of actually importing the graphic into the Word document, there is a
way to insert a placeholder, which just tells Word to put the graphic there
when printing it out. Is this possible? Can I do this with my charts and
tables too (which currently are in a separate Word document). Or are there
other ways of doing this?
I am using Word 2002, SP3; WinXP Media Edition 2005.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

You can link graphics (pictures) by choosing Insert as Link when using
Insert | Picture | From File. You can also use "picture placeholders" for
inline graphics (any type); this setting is on the View tab of Tools |
Options; you can also suppress the display of floating graphics ("Drawings")
in the same place; see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/DrwGrphcs/...leGraphics.htm. None of these
settings will prevent the graphics from printing or being displayed in Print
Preview.

"Jauchart" wrote in message
I have a very large manuscript, with many footnotes. I also need to import
into it many charts, tables, and graphics. As it crashed once, I am trying

reduce the amount of baggage to what is necessary. I have been told that
instead of actually importing the graphic into the Word document, there is

way to insert a placeholder, which just tells Word to put the graphic

there
when printing it out. Is this possible? Can I do this with my charts and
tables too (which currently are in a separate Word document). Or are there
other ways of doing this?
I am using Word 2002, SP3; WinXP Media Edition 2005.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Klaus Linke

"Jauchart" wrote:
I have a very large manuscript, with many footnotes. I also need to
import into it many charts, tables, and graphics. As it crashed once,
I am trying to reduce the amount of baggage to what is necessary.
I have been told that instead of actually importing the graphic into
the Word document, there is a way to insert a placeholder, which
just tells Word to put the graphic there when printing it out. Is this
possible? Can I do this with my charts and tables too (which currently
are in a separate Word document). Or are there other ways of doing this?
I am using Word 2002, SP3; WinXP Media Edition 2005.

Hi Jauchard,

As you insert your graphics (Insert Picture From file...) you'll notice
a down arrow to the right of the Insert button.
You have 3 choices: "Insert", "Link to file", "Insert and link".
"Link to file" is what you are looking for, though you'll have to be careful
if you move the document or send it to someone, so the links don't get
broken.
If needed you can edit the field codes (Alt+F9 to see them).

For text/tables/charts from another Word document, you could bookmark them
and use IncludeText fields (see the topic in the help), but I don't think it
would make your document more stable, if that is the reason you want to do
it.

Were the charts done in Word?

Regards,
Klaus