Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Melody Neris

Default I'm getting a locked message when beginning a new document. Why?

"This modification is not allowed because the document is locked." That is
the very annoying message I continue to receive when trying to start a new
document. What is going on? and Why can't I unlock the document so that I
can begin my paper?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tia Nevitt

This usually occurs when someone else is editing the same document that you
are working on. If this is not possible, then did your computer crash while
you were working on your doc? XP usually recovers from these type of errors,
but it may be possible that the document will stay "locked" forever until you
get rid of the temporary file associated with the document.

If this happens when you start a brand-new document, then it sounds like
your normal.dot template itself is locked.

Could you clarify what is happening?

"Melody Neris" wrote:

"This modification is not allowed because the document is locked." That is
the very annoying message I continue to receive when trying to start a new
document. What is going on? and Why can't I unlock the document so that I
can begin my paper?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
garfield-n-odie

If all new and existing documents are locked for editing, then
it's probably because you have not activated your Word/Office
software, or because you have an expired trial version of Office
2003. What happens if you start Word and click on Help |
Activate Product? If you are already activated, a dialog box
saying so will appear. If you are not activated, the Activation
Wizard will start. If you have an expired trial version, a
dialog box will prompt you to enter a valid product key or
purchase a key online.

Melody Neris wrote:
"This modification is not allowed because the document is locked." That is
the very annoying message I continue to receive when trying to start a new
document. What is going on? and Why can't I unlock the document so that I
can begin my paper?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Melody Neris

Default I'm getting a locked message when beginning a new document. Wh

I don't believe my cousin activated the software when he downloaded the
program. Thank you though.

"Melody Neris" wrote:

"This modification is not allowed because the document is locked." That is
the very annoying message I continue to receive when trying to start a new
document. What is going on? and Why can't I unlock the document so that I
can begin my paper?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Fenix

I'm having the same problems with all new and exisiting documents
"modification not allowed because the document is locked"
I've clicked on Help/Activate product but nothing happens.
What can I do?

Melody Neris wrote:
"This modification is not allowed because the document is locked." That is
the very annoying message I continue to receive when trying to start a new
document. What is going on? and Why can't I unlock the document so that I
can begin my paper?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
garfield-n-odie

If you have a trial version of Office 2003, then maybe the trial
period has expired? Some trial versions cannot be converted to
perpetual versions from the Activate Product dialog box... you
can always purchase a full version of Office 2003 (or an upgrade
version if you own a qualifying product) from your favorite local
or online retailer.

Fenix wrote:
I'm having the same problems with all new and exisiting documents
"modification not allowed because the document is locked"
I've clicked on Help/Activate product but nothing happens.
What can I do?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ilk_dsbh

"garfield-n-odie" wrote:

If all new and existing documents are locked for editing, then
it's probably because you have not activated your Word/Office
software, or because you have an expired trial version of Office
2003. What happens if you start Word and click on Help |
Activate Product? If you are already activated, a dialog box
saying so will appear. If you are not activated, the Activation
Wizard will start. If you have an expired trial version, a
dialog box will prompt you to enter a valid product key or
purchase a key online.
I followed your advice, opened the "Activate Product", but nothing appeared or disappeared or reappeared whatsoever, what else can I do? Please help! I need to be able to use Word so that I can finish my paper.
Melody Neris wrote:
"This modification is not allowed because the document is locked." That is
the very annoying message I continue to receive when trying to start a new
document. What is going on? and Why can't I unlock the document so that I
can begin my paper?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ilk_dsbh

I followed your advice, opened up the "Activate Product", but there was no
window appearing to tell me either of the possibilities that you listed.
Anything further action you may suggest?

Melody Neris wrote:
"This modification is not allowed because the document is locked." That is
the very annoying message I continue to receive when trying to start a new
document. What is going on? and Why can't I unlock the document so that I
can begin my paper?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
garfield-n-odie [MVP]

What version of Office do you have? Do you have a trial version
of Office 2003? Some trial versions cannot be converted after
they expire.

Melody Neris wrote:

"This modification is not allowed because the document is locked." That is
the very annoying message I continue to receive when trying to start a new
document. What is going on? and Why can't I unlock the document so that I
can begin my paper?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ilk_dsbh

I think I have Word 2003. I do have a trial verson but never opened it since
the person who set up the computer for me giave me his Word program from some
sort of a disk that he carried, he said I'll be able to use it without
bothering with the trial version, should I start bothering with it now?

Melody Neris wrote:

"This modification is not allowed because the document is locked." That is
the very annoying message I continue to receive when trying to start a new
document. What is going on? and Why can't I unlock the document so that I
can begin my paper?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules [MVP]

Pay for it.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

Melody Neris wrote:

"This modification is not allowed because the document is locked."
That is
the very annoying message I continue to receive when trying to start a
new
document. What is going on? and Why can't I unlock the document so
that I
can begin my paper?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

It sounds like either you have a pirate copy of Word or you have the trial
installed from another disc. Either way, if the trial period is ended (or
you are locked out of the pirate copy) the only way you can continue to use
Word is to buy it.