Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
mamabren

Default word 2000 can't open address book for mail merge envelopes

When I try to do a mail merge for envelopes again my other one got lost
somehow, anyways word always says it can't open source or address book, I
have over 100 names. Do I have to type them all again? All info is greatly
apprecaited, I have tried everything, but I guess I haven't tried the right
thing.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
mamabren

My addresses are in my word address book and in outlook express, but no
matter what I try to get my resources from word says it can't open it. Can't
seem to figure out why, I have 134 name to merge, there has to be an easier
way than typing all again. Thanks

mamabren wrote:
When I try to do a mail merge for envelopes again my other one got
lost somehow, anyways word always says it can't open source or
address book, I have over 100 names. Do I have to type them all
again? All info is greatly apprecaited, I have tried everything, but
I guess I haven't tried the right thing.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor

The Outlook Express address book is not compatible with this function. It
requires Outlook. You would have to export the addresses from the address
book to a file and use that file as a data source.

mamabren wrote:
When I try to do a mail merge for envelopes again my other one got
lost somehow, anyways word always says it can't open source or
address book, I have over 100 names. Do I have to type them all
again? All info is greatly apprecaited, I have tried everything, but
I guess I haven't tried the right thing.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
PQ

I am seeing the same problem on another PC running the Teacher & Student Editions of Word 2003 and Outlook 2003. When you click on the "insert from address book" dropdown (next to the address book icon), Word just beeps. If you click on the address book icon, it asks you to select the profile, then it reports the following error message:

"The address list could not be displayed. The Contacts folder associated with the address list could not be opened; it may have been moved or deleted, or you do not have permissions. For information on how to remove this folder from the Outlook Address book, see Microsoft Office Outlook Help."

Since one can't set permissions for the Contacts folder in the Student and Teacher edition, I wonder if this a registry problem, or this edition dropped a DLL necessary for accessing the address book?

My own PC, which runs Office Professional (with a back-ened Exchange server) does not exhibit the problem.

mamabren wrote:
When I try to do a mail merge for envelopes again my other one got
lost somehow, anyways word always says it can't open source or
address book, I have over 100 names. Do I have to type them all
again? All info is greatly apprecaited, I have tried everything, but
I guess I haven't tried the right thing.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor

Outlook must be set as the default e-mail application if the user does not
have Exchange Server.

If it still doesn't show: From Outlook, Tools Accounts View or Change
existing directories or address books, delete the Outlook Address Book.
Finish out of that Dialog then go back and add it again. This will not
delete the contacts list.

Ensure the contacts list property (right click contacts at the top of the
task pane) is set to show as an outlook e-mail address book

mamabren wrote:
When I try to do a mail merge for envelopes again my other one got
lost somehow, anyways word always says it can't open source or
address book, I have over 100 names. Do I have to type them all
again? All info is greatly apprecaited, I have tried everything,
but I guess I haven't tried the right thing.

Word applies direct format on File open Uriel Microsoft Word Help 16 November 27th 05 08:22 PM
Envelope Address GR New Users 5 April 24th 05 09:48 PM
printing mass envelopes from outlook address book using word simmonsmtb Microsoft Word Help 1 February 3rd 05 03:01 PM