Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Slow Learner

Default corrupt word table? or operator error?

I have a 66 page document that contains a 3 column table of data that has
been scanned into Word2002.
I formatted the tables after scanning (each page scanned created a table) to
fit on the page (row height, width etc.) so that each table is the same. I
also removed all paragraph markers within the cells of the tables and between
the tables.
I saved then printed, proofed and saved the document.
I opened the supposed 66 page document and found that the formatting was all
gone within the tables and the document was now 50 some pages! in length.
I began going through the document and reformatting using the print version
as a guide (no longer have the figures for making the rows-columns line up)
and looked at the directory where I was saving it to only to see that there
are ~*.tmp files being created (I noticed these there when I looked after
opening a 55 page document but deleted them) Now they are coming back a new
one each change I make to this document.
Why would this happen in the first place? Is the document toast and should
I simply start again?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Did you perhaps open the document using the "Recover Text from Any File"
setting? As for the creation of .tmp files, this is normal; they will be
deleted when you close the file. You don't even see them unless you are
viewing All Files in Word's File Open dialog.

"Slow Learner" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Slow Learner

The document was opened using Word, File, Open when it was first discovered.
I have just looked at the file structure through Windows Explorer function
and the temp files have not gone away after closing the file. In fact there
is a temp file of the large document (opened and worked and closed last
Friday), a temp file of a second large document I renamed and reclaimed after
crash (also closed / saved and last worked on last Friday) as well as 22
~WRL*.tmp files ranging in size from
1163 KB to 1225 KB. The main file size shows 1220 KB while the renamed
"repaired" version is 1162 KB.
The file appears to be very unstable in this state and the fact the .tmp
files are not going away is of concern. You say this is normal, can you
please explain.
Thanks I think I will now attempt to open the repaired version and see what
awaits me but I am very nervous about relying on it's stability.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Slow Learner

Default Document Recovery mode

Open file named repaired (last one I worked on) and it opens in docuemnt
recover mode. Errors shows as: Internal data integrity (type4) 1 and Styles
1.
As well in print layout view I am getting 2 pages not one. How do I change
this?
Thanks Suzanne it really is frustrating when you can not figure out what is
happening to something that took so long to create in the first place. I
would hate to have to start again but need this to be a stable document as it
is a manual and will have to undergo revisions from time to time and if I
have this fight each time I revise it will drive me even crazier.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Changing the view in Print Layout is just a matter of changing the Zoom
setting. The repaired document should be fine. As for the "Recover Text"
question, this is a "Files of type" setting in the File Open dialog; see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/RecoverText.htm for more.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Did you perhaps open the document using the "Recover Text from Any File"
setting? As for the creation of .tmp files, this is normal; they will be
deleted when you close the file. You don't even see them unless you are
viewing All Files in Word's File Open dialog.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Slow Learner

Thanks Suzanne
I did discover the zoom - neat trick as seeing 2 pages at a time is helpful
sometimes. Out of frustration, learning doth come!
Slowly going through and re aligning the cells in the tables so that I end
up with the same material on the pages per the original document.

I am noting that a lot of the formatting has gone and wonder why???
Things like auto numbering in cells have just disappeared and the styles I
had set for the formatting have somehow gone as well. Appears to have
reverted to a normal template default setting throughout.
If I were not the only person who access this file I would begin to wonder
if a little elf had not been in playing around.

Do you think, once I have completely reformatted, saved and burned a copy to
disk that it would be save to delete all the temp files?
I will now go and review your link, thanks for the help