Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sara

Default insert "save as" in macro

I have a macro to open a document but I want it to also give me the "save as"
screen right away. I tried this but can't click stop on the macro from the
"save as" screen. Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon

If you are opening a document and going immediately to Save As, your
document probably should be a template and you should be using File New.
Then the document on the screen will have all the text from your template
but will be a new document and the user will have to give it a new name to
save it. It is very difficult to write over the original template.

To get the SaveAs dialog box, you need to write code. If a template is not
what you want, write back and I or someone else will give you directions.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Sara" wrote in message
I have a macro to open a document but I want it to also give me the "save
as"
screen right away. I tried this but can't click stop on the macro from
the
"save as" screen. Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sara

Charles' and Suzanne's posts were each helpful. My problem was that,
although I had tried using a template, I wasn't opening it as a template.
Once I opened it as a template and it assigned Document # as the temporary
name, it gave me the save as screen even if I inadvertently clicked CTRL-S.
Now that I have my macro set up to open the template the proper way, I think
my problem is solved! Thanks!!!

"Sara" wrote in message
I have a macro to open a document but I want it to also give me the "save
as"
screen right away. I tried this but can't click stop on the macro from
the
"save as" screen. Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon

Uhm - the proper way to use a template is to create an new document.

When you save that document you'll need to assign a name.

If it isn't working this way, and if you have a Word template, something is
wrong.
--

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Every initial save is a Save As, though.

so
all may benefit.