Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JK

Default How do I insert a footnote with continuous numbering?

I have a document that every time I try to insert a footnote anywhere in the
document starts the numbering over again instead of doing it continuously. I
have tried everything...any suggestions?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
FastWordHelp

Take a look at this link:

Should be helpful.

It sounds like you have new sections starting with each page and your page
numbering format set to start at 1 for each new section.

You can click on the "Insert" menu and then "Page Numbers..." sub menu to
open up the Page Numbers dialog window. Then click the "Format..." button to
open up the Page Number Format dialog window and check the "Page Number"
section at the bottom half of that window. You'll want that to be set to
"Continue from previous section" to get the results you're looking for.

--John
www.FastWordHelp.com

"JK" wrote:

I have a document that every time I try to insert a footnote anywhere in the
document starts the numbering over again instead of doing it continuously. I
have tried everything...any suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JK

Thanks fastwordhelp...but, unfortunately, it didn't work. I tried changing
the page numbering, I've tried everything possible with the footnotes and
still no luck.....any other suggestions??
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Page numbering has nothing to do with footnote numbering. You have to set
the footnote numbering to be continuous, not "Restart each section" or
"Restart each page." You do this through Insert | Reference | Footnote:
Numbering. But note that if the document was imported from WordPerfect, you
may have additional problems.

"JK" wrote in message
Thanks fastwordhelp...but, unfortunately, it didn't work. I tried changing
the page numbering, I've tried everything possible with the footnotes and
still no luck.....any other suggestions??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JK

Yes, I have the footnote numbering on continuous to be applied to the whole
document, but it still restarts numbering every time. I have removed all
section and page breaks and still no luck. It will number consecutively
starting at one even if I put one footnote on page 1 and another on page 99,
so it's not starting over throughout the document, it's just that the entire
document is almost being treated as a new "section".

What would the problem be if it is imported from WordPerfect??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
FastWordHelp

I would suggest trying the e-mail support service found he
http://www.fastwordhelp.com/services.php

With that you can send your file in as an attachment so that I can take a
look at it for you.

--John
http://www.FastWordHelp.com

"JK" wrote:

Thanks fastwordhelp...but, unfortunately, it didn't work. I tried changing
the page numbering, I've tried everything possible with the footnotes and
still no luck.....any other suggestions??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Recent versions of Word seem not to deal well with footnotes in WP docs.
Although in some ways they behave like "real" footnotes, the numbering just
doesn't work right; that is, if you insert new footnotes between them, they
don't renumber, and the new notes don't get the right consecutive number.
The only solution, unfortunately, is to create new footnotes in Word, paste
the content of the "fake" footnotes into them, and then delete the "fake"
ones.