Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Swedish Peter

Default Word: Personal default for tables : Don't break rows over pages

Word should remember as a personal preference that I don't want to break
table rows over pages.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...ic.word.tables

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Pen Gwynn

I have tried to change my table defaults following the instructions in Word
Help, with limited success. New tables have my requested "Auto fit to
contents" but none of my other changes for header rows and not breaking rows
are there. Is there some "magic" sequence I should follow?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

All table styles except Table Normal can be modified to make this the
default.

"Swedish Peter" Swedish wrote in message
Word should remember as a personal preference that I don't want to break
table rows over pages.

----------------

this
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...ic.word.tables

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

When you modified the table style, did you check the box for "Add to
template"?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

All table styles except Table Normal can be modified to make this the
default.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Swedish Peter" Swedish wrote in

message
Word should remember as a personal preference that I don't want to

break
table rows over pages.

----------------
suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click

the "I
Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button,

follow
this
link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and

then
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...ic.word.tables

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Pen Gwynn

Yes, I checked that box. However, the changed style only worked in the
document that was open when I modified the style. When I opened a new
document, the old style was used. I have attempted to open the normal.dot
file, but so far no success. I can't access "C:\Documents and Settings\user
name\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates" because there's no folder called
Application Data. Might the folder have another name?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

All table styles except Table Normal can be modified to make this the
default.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Swedish Peter" Swedish wrote in

message
Word should remember as a personal preference that I don't want to

break
table rows over pages.

----------------
suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click

the "I
Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button,

follow
this
link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and

then
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...ic.word.tables

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

On Windows XP systems, the Application Data folder is hidden. You have to
explicitly display (or search) hidden files and folders. Also, whatever
style you have modified must be set as the default table style for the given
template.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

All table styles except Table Normal can be modified to make this

the
default.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Swedish Peter" Swedish wrote in

message
Word should remember as a personal preference that I don't want to

break
table rows over pages.

----------------
This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to

the
suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion,

click
the "I
Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button,

follow
this
link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader

and
then
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...ic.word.tables

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Pen Gwynn

Thanks for the tip on the hidden folder.

Based on my trial and error, it seems that you have to make each change
separately, i.e. if you want to make more than one change to the style you
have to make one change (e.g. don't allow rows to break across pages) , click
on the "Add to template" box, click "OK," right click the element in the
Styles Task Pane, click on "Set as Default Table Style" and then select the
button to apply this style to all tables using the Normal template. Then you
repeat the process for the next change, e.g. repeat the first row as the
header on all pages.

I would also STRONGLY suggest that you click on "Format" and select "Table
Properties" to ensure that the change you want to make is available before
you finalize the change. There seems to be a specific sequence you have to
follow in order for the "Allow rows to break across pages" option to be
active, but unfortunately I didn't note the sequence due to the many trials I
made before I got it to work.

Good luck.