Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Richard

Default user editable tables in protected documents

Hi,

I am designing a protected form in Word 2003. I need one part to be a table
that the user needs to complete. The number of rows can be anything from 1
to 100 so it needs to expand automatically.

I have seen this done with another form where the user editable area seems
to be a separate table with a single row separate from the tables
containing the non-editable areas.

However I can't work out how to make a table editable in a protected
document, nor can I work out how to position it directly below another
table so that there is no blank space between them.

All help gratefully received :-)

TIA

Richard
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Charles Kenyon

The "no blank space" requirement is not surmountable so far as I know. But
you can come close by changing the font size of the intervening blank
paragraph.You can make a section of what Word calls an online form
unprotected. To do this you have to use Tools Protect Document rather than
just click on the lock button on the toolbar. For more about online forms,
follow the links at http://addbalance.com/word/wordwebresources.htm#Forms or
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...nTheBlanks.htm especially Dian
Chapman's series of articles. You may also want to look at
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFl...nesInForms.htm.

Hope this helps,
--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.
"Richard" wrote in message
Hi,

I am designing a protected form in Word 2003. I need one part to be a
table
that the user needs to complete. The number of rows can be anything from 1
to 100 so it needs to expand automatically.

I have seen this done with another form where the user editable area seems
to be a separate table with a single row separate from the tables
containing the non-editable areas.

However I can't work out how to make a table editable in a protected
document, nor can I work out how to position it directly below another
table so that there is no blank space between them.

All help gratefully received :-)

TIA

Richard

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Richard

"Charles Kenyon" wrote in
:

You can make a section of what Word calls an online
form unprotected. To do this you have to use Tools Protect Document
rather than just click on the lock button on the toolbar.

Thanks for your reply. I read the online help page about this. It seems
that making areas of a document unprotected is only possible when you
select "Comments" rather than "forms", at least, the "exceptions" boxes
only appear when "comments" is selected (Word 2003).

I know it must be possible to do this because I have a form where this
is done. I have uploaded a small part of it to my web site at:
http://www.festiveroad.net/sample table.doc
If you examine it it is actually three tables and the centre one is
editable. There are no macros or any other customisations in the
document.

The "no blank space" requirement is not surmountable so far as I know.

I think I have solved this one. It seems if you create a new table
immediately below an existing one and use a different style for the new
table, it is created as a separate table immediately below the existing
one.

--
Richard.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

You missed the implications of Charles's use of the word "section." You must
insert section breaks around the part you want to leave unprotected. Then
when you use Tools | Protect Document, you have a choice of which sections
to protect.

"Richard" wrote in message
"Charles Kenyon" wrote in
:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Richard

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in
:

You missed the implications of Charles's use of the word "section."

You're right, I did!

I've now learnt two new things today. Thank you both very much :-)