Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Janazago

Default Next IF Field

I am trying to merge data from Access into a Word Document. I have a
table with 5 columns for my main document. I have about 150 records in
my database.

I want to put a specific record into various cells in the table. I
tried "next If" and put in the criteria. It just repeated the first
record.

I also put my data in the order I wanted it and then just used "Next
Record." That worked until I tried to span the records across the
table and then down. It did not merge the records into the cells I
wanted them in.

Does Word read from left to right and then down? If so, that should
have worked.

Frustrated...I can't get this do do what I want. HELP!

--
Janazago
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Word does place the data in the order left to right and then down. What
type of main document are you using. If it's a catalog or directory type,
you should have a single row table in the main document with a Next
Record field before the first merge field in each cell of the table EXCEPT
the first. If it's a label type document, you need the Next Record
field before the first merge field in all cells EXCEPT the first on the
sheet.

But, why don't you do it all in Access?

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Janazago" wrote in message

I am trying to merge data from Access into a Word Document. I have a
table with 5 columns for my main document. I have about 150 records in
my database.

I want to put a specific record into various cells in the table. I
tried "next If" and put in the criteria. It just repeated the first
record.

I also put my data in the order I wanted it and then just used "Next
Record." That worked until I tried to span the records across the
table and then down. It did not merge the records into the cells I
wanted them in.

Does Word read from left to right and then down? If so, that should
have worked.

Frustrated...I can't get this do do what I want. HELP!

--
Janazago

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Janazago

Doug, I am using a table. What I forgot to mention is that I don't want
the data in consecutive cells of the merged document. I think that is
the problem. I'm not using ACCESS for my report because I didn't think
there was a way to merge different records in certain places.

"Janazago" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

What type of mailmerge main document is it? Give us more idea of what you
are trying to achieve.