Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
lincoln

Default Autoresize a copied Excel table

Word/Excel 2003

Is there a setting I can change so that when I Copy an Excel table, ie
several Excel columns (preferably using Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V) into Word, the
resulting Word table will automatically shrink the column widths so that all
the columns fit on the page?

The default of having columns "fall off" the right side of the page (when
Copied into Word) is annoying, and difficult for novice users to correct.

I know of the following fixes:

1/
Change the Word page to Landscape to fit more columns on the page.

2/
Go to Table Properties | and on the Table and Columns tabs: | untick
Preferred Width.
Interestingly enough, for my particular set of columns, in Word 2002 this
action will shrink the table appropriately on the page (so there is room to
the right of the last column).
In Word 2003 however, for my particular set of columns, after this action,
my last column extends to the very right edge of the page, so I still have to
set the column width for the last column.

3/
Paste the Excel columns into an existing table cell in Word (ie a one-cell
table).
This works every time in Word 2002, but in Word 2003 it leaves the last
column falling off the right edge of the page. (The Ctrl+V function becomes
Paste As Nested Table.)

4/
Table | Autofit | Autofit to Contents | and also Autofit to Window both work
on some test data, but not my particular Excel columns in Word 2003. Using
Autofit to Content - the last column "falls off" the page. Using Autofit to
Window - the last column extends to the right edge of the page, and needs to
have its column width reduced.

5/
Paste Special | Bitmap will shrink the columns, but of course they are then
not editable in a Word table.

6/
And of course manually altering the column widths and font size to squeeze
the columns together in Word.

I am also aware of dragging the resize handle at the bottom-right of the
Word table to adjust the table size, but this is only useful if you can
actually see the bottom-right of the table.

I am trying to find a setting that will shrink the column widths
automatically (at Paste time) because a lecturer has given this task as an
assignment to his students, and whilst most of the students are having to
resize the columns once in Word, he says that he saw ONE STUDENT who could
paste the Excel columns into
any new Word document and the columns auto-shrunk to fit on the page.
The Lecturer (and I) have searched through all the settings under Tools |
Options, particularly under Compatability, but cannot find the setting.

Is there such a setting?

Sorry for the length of this message.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Shauna Kelly

Hi Lincoln

Click anywhere within the Word table. Table Properties. On the Table tab,
set the Preferred Width to 100%. And, click Options and then tick the
"Automatically resize to fit contents" box.

When you later decide you've had enough of Word's idea of how to format a
table, you can come back and set the width to a real measurement and turn
off the "Automatically resize" option, and you've got full control of your
table again.

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word