Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Pheasant Plucker®

Default Text spread across cells in a table?

Hi there,

I have a Word document which contains four rows each of 6 cells in a table.

These have borders so they appear like cells in which the Technician has to
enter (by hand with a pen on his hard copy:-) either a tick, cross or
number.

So far so good...

But I want to overlay some text across these 6 cells in a ghosted or light
grey colour to use as a prompt or reminder for what should be written in
each row.

The problem is I can type text into each cell independently but I can't seem
to have this text spread across all 6 cells.

For example I want the words Flavour Set spread across all 6 cells in the
first row, Temperature spread across all 6 cells in the second row and so
on.

Is this even possible in either Word 2000 or 2003?

Thanks & regards,
-=pp=-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Stefan Blom

You can merge cells: Select them and click Merge Cells on the Table
menu.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Pheasant Plucker®" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
SVC

cIf you need to retain the cell borders for all six cells across, try
inserting a text box that spreads across the entire row. Then Format Text
box, on the Layout tab select In front of text (so you can adjust the text
box to the desired position), on the Colors and Lines tab select No fill for
color (this will allow the cell borders to show through the text box) and No
line for the line color. Center and type in what text you want and adjust
the color to what looks best. Repeat for each row.

Hope this gives you what you are looking for.

"Pheasant PluckerĀ®" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Ah, okay then.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

You don't need No Fill because you need to put the text box behind the

cells
if the form is to be filled out online. If it's to be printed, then this

is
not an issue.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.