Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Nadine

Default Auto fill cell from another cell

Client has a table with multiple columns, but when filles in the cells in one
column they want the last column to auto fill with the same information that
is being entered. But it's not numbers, it's text. I know how to relate
cells in Excel, but haven't been able to get it to work in Word - appears
only to work with numbers, but client is filling in text. I'm assuming there
has to be some kind of formula in word to be able to do this.
Any help would be appreciated.Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

You could put formfields in the cells into which the data is being entered
and in the corresponding cell in the last column, insert a cross reference
to the text of the bookmark assigned to the formfield. You will need to
check the "Calculate on exit" box of each of the formfields so that the
cross references are automatically updated with the data that is entered.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Nadine" wrote in message
Client has a table with multiple columns, but when filles in the cells in
one
column they want the last column to auto fill with the same information
that
is being entered. But it's not numbers, it's text. I know how to relate
cells in Excel, but haven't been able to get it to work in Word - appears
only to work with numbers, but client is filling in text. I'm assuming
there
has to be some kind of formula in word to be able to do this.
Any help would be appreciated.Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
macropod

Hi Nadine,

Word's cell referencing only works with numbers - for text you get nothing
and dates & times get horribly mashed. You basically have three options:
1. Set the document up as a protected form, as Doug suggested, and use REF
fields to replicate the text;
2. Use an embedded Excel worksheet, which your users would have to learn how
to use; or
3. Use a macro to replicate the data. This wouldn't give the immediacy of
either of the other options, though, and would have to be run periodically
(eg upon saving/printing or when the user decides).

Cheers

"Nadine" wrote in message
Client has a table with multiple columns, but when filles in the cells in

one
column they want the last column to auto fill with the same information

that
is being entered. But it's not numbers, it's text. I know how to relate
cells in Excel, but haven't been able to get it to work in Word - appears
only to work with numbers, but client is filling in text. I'm assuming

there
has to be some kind of formula in word to be able to do this.
Any help would be appreciated.Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Charles Kenyon

From the FAQ

19. How can I enter something once in a document and have it repeat
elsewhere?
http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Repeating_Data.htm

--
Charles Kenyon