Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
DonD

Default Selecting a column: some rows have 2 cells in 1 column?

I have a rows in my table that seem to be totally normal until I
select a table column. Then I get 2 side-by-side cells selected with the
otherwise single table column. Are these 2 cells linked? I don't know why
it's doing this. I can no longer copy and paste a single column. I tried
cutting and
pasteing into a new row, but it still does it. It there anyway to fix
this other than rewriting.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Jean-Guy Marcil

DonD was telling us:
DonD nous racontait que :

I have a rows in my table that seem to be totally normal until I
select a table column. Then I get 2 side-by-side cells selected with
the otherwise single table column. Are these 2 cells linked? I don't
know why it's doing this. I can no longer copy and paste a single
column. I tried cutting and
pasteing into a new row, but it still does it. It there anyway to fix
this other than rewriting.

This usually means that there are merged cells somewhere in those two
adjacent columns.

--
Salut!
_______________________________________

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
DonD

Yes, there is a merged cell. I pasted a row from the word table into excel to
see just what I had. One cell has 3 merged rows. The single cell had
contained 3 lines of text using a return at the end of the first two lines.
This text with returns became 3 table rows merged into one table cell. There
is no way to fix this without a rewrite. I guess if you use a return in a
Word table it will sooner or later blow-up in your face.

"Jean-Guy Marcil" wrote:

DonD was telling us:
DonD nous racontait que :

I have a rows in my table that seem to be totally normal until I
select a table column. Then I get 2 side-by-side cells selected with
the otherwise single table column. Are these 2 cells linked? I don't
know why it's doing this. I can no longer copy and paste a single
column. I tried cutting and
pasteing into a new row, but it still does it. It there anyway to fix
this other than rewriting.

This usually means that there are merged cells somewhere in those two
adjacent columns.

--
Salut!
_______________________________________
Jean-Guy Marcil - Word MVP
ISTOO
Word MVP site:
http://www.word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Jean-Guy Marcil

DonD was telling us:
DonD nous racontait que :

Yes, there is a merged cell. I pasted a row from the word table into
excel to see just what I had. One cell has 3 merged rows. The single
cell had contained 3 lines of text using a return at the end of the
first two lines. This text with returns became 3 table rows merged
into one table cell. There is no way to fix this without a rewrite. I
guess if you use a return in a Word table it will sooner or later
blow-up in your face.

I am not sure I understand.

Using "Return" in a Word table does nor create merged cells.

Also, you seem to be stating that you had vertically merged cells (3 rows).
Vertically merged cells should not cause the problem you first had. That
problem is usually because you have horizontally merged cells.

--
Salut!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

To add to what Jean-Guy has said, pasting table text that contains paragraph
breaks into Excel will create split cells in Excel but has nothing to do
with the table structure in Word, which in any case you should be able to
see clearly by displaying gridlines.

"Jean-Guy Marcil" NoSpam@LeaveMeAlone wrote in message
DonD was telling us:
DonD nous racontait que :