Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Stan Brown

Default Changed document, want to close without prompt to save

This is *not* a case of getting "Do you want to save changes?" when I
didn't actually make any. Rather, I open a document used by my whole
workgroup, make a few changes, print it, and close it.

I want to *not* be prompted to save when I close this one particular
changed document -- is there any setting I can make?

Word 2003, Win XP Pro

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Stefan Blom

A macro such as the following, attached to a toolbar button, would do
what you want:

Sub DoNotSaveChanges()
ActiveDocument.Close savechanges:=False
End Sub

If you need assistance, see http://gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm.

Of course, if it is run on the wrong document, the macro will cause a
loss of data, so use it with care!

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Stan Brown" wrote in message
t...
This is *not* a case of getting "Do you want to save changes?" when

didn't actually make any. Rather, I open a document used by my whole
workgroup, make a few changes, print it, and close it.

I want to *not* be prompted to save when I close this one particular
changed document -- is there any setting I can make?

Word 2003, Win XP Pro

http://OakRoadSystems.com/

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Stan Brown

Tue, 20 Jun 2006 15:14:52 +0200 from Stefan Blom
:

"Stan Brown" wrote in message
t...
This is *not* a case of getting "Do you want to save changes?"
when I didn't actually make any. Rather, I open a document used
by my whole workgroup, make a few changes, print it, and close
it.

I want to *not* be prompted to save when I close this one
particular changed document -- is there any setting I can make?

Word 2003, Win XP Pro

A macro such as the following, attached to a toolbar button, would do
what you want:

Sub DoNotSaveChanges()
ActiveDocument.Close savechanges:=False
End Sub

If you need assistance, see http://gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm.

Of course, if it is run on the wrong document, the macro will cause a
loss of data, so use it with care!

Thanks, Stefan. I'm a little reluctant to create such a toolbar
button, because of just the risk you cite. Is there nothing in the
GUI to accomplish this same result? I couldn't find anything, but I'm
hoping against hope that it's there and I just missed it.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor

A minor addition to Stefan's macro will limit the macro to the one document.

Sub DoNotSaveChanges()
Dim strName As String
strName = ActiveDocument.Name
If strName = "Document name.doc" Then
ActiveDocument.Close savechanges:=False
End If
End Sub

Where Document name.doc is the name of the document in question. For all
other docs the macro does nothing.
Any global changes would have the same problems as the original macro.

Stan Brown wrote:
Tue, 20 Jun 2006 15:14:52 +0200 from Stefan Blom
:

"Stan Brown" wrote in message
t...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Stan Brown

Wed, 21 Jun 2006 08:37:46 +0300 from Graham Mayor :
A minor addition to Stefan's macro will limit the macro to the one document.

[snip]

Excellent! Thanks, Graham!

http://OakRoadSystems.com/

Irritating "Save" prompt when nothing has changed jl Microsoft Word Help 0 March 20th 06 04:28 PM
Those weird and wacky MS Word messages Larry New Users 11 July 23rd 05 12:18 AM
Templates gman Page Layout 17 April 22nd 05 06:35 PM
do i save the document template or not (urgent) NP New Users 2 April 15th 05 11:47 AM
Stopping Save As Dialog appearing when closing a document N. Cotton Microsoft Word Help 1 January 13th 05 09:46 PM