Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Buck Rabbit

Default Opening a file on my HDD via a Toolbar button

A short time ago I requested and received some very valuable assistance for creating a Toolbar button which allowed me to open a
webpage directly from within Word XP using VBA, at the moment I am seeking to open a file that is on my HDD from within word also
by a Toolbar button. Try as I may I have not been able to negotiate the correct syntax for the path to said file and I find I am
therefore having to navigate my way through a few different drives and folders to open the one I seek each time I need it.

Would someone help me out with this please?

All assistance is greatly appreciated,
Cheers
Buck

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Shauna Kelly Shauna Kelly is offline

Hi Buck

Here are three options, moving from easy to less easy and from 80% solution
to 100% solution:

1. Use the Places Bar. At File Open navigate to the folder that contains
your document. Click the name of your folder (do not open the folder). On
the Tools menu within the File Open dialog, click "Add to my places".
(That's the Word 2003 process; Word 2002 might be very slightly different).
Now, you'll see the folder listed in the Places Bar (the grey bar down the
left side of the File Open dialog). So with one click you can instantly open
that folder.

2. Use the Work menu. See
How do I use, and what is, the Work menu?

http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/WorkMenu.htm

3. Write a macro that is something like:
Sub OpenMyDocument()

Documents.Open FileName:="C:\My folder\My sub folder\My document.doc"

End Sub

Replace the path and file name with your path and file name. Then attach the
macro to a toolbar button.

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word