Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Thurid Thurid is offline

Default Master doc looses heading numbering style of 1 subdocument - why?

Hi,

I am using Word 2002.

I am trying to format my Master document (PhD).
The headings of 1 subdocument loose their numbering (in the master document)
every time I close the master document - although I followed the instructions
and edited all the headings in the master document (as opposed to the
subdocuments).

Could somebody please suggest why that would be the case?
So far I have tried "clear formatting" and reapplied the styles - they come
up with numbers, but once I save and reopen the master document the numbering
is lost again.

It is strange that it is only in 1 subdocument.

Also, can anybody tell me why the styles come up with Caption "Char char char"
I have turned off the keep track of formatting changes option.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jezebel Jezebel is offline

Before you go any further with this, do a moment's Googling on why you
shouldn't be using a master document at all: in brief, it's a cludged bit of
technology that has never worked. As someone else put it: there are two
types of master documents -- those that are corrupt, and those about to
become corrupt.

As a matter of urgency, back up the components of your thesis; then choose
another approach.

"Thurid" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Charles Kenyon Charles Kenyon is offline

Sorry, I don't have an answer because I don't use Master Documents. However,
you may need the reason I don't more than you need an answer. "Master
Document" is a term of art in Word referring to a "feature" that not only
doesn't work but also destroys documents. The consensus (with the limited
exception of Steve Hudson) among those offering advice on these newsgroups
is that using the Master Document feature is a good way to destroy your
document. It can destroy parts of your document that you are not even
working on! I think John McGhie said it succinctly when he said that there
are two kinds of Master Documents: Those that are corrupt and those that
will be corrupt soon. See
http://www.addbalance.com/word/masterdocuments.htm for information on the
Master Document feature and workarounds. See
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Genera...ocsCorrupt.htm for more
information on what goes wrong, and
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Genera...MasterDocs.htm for ideas on how
to salvage what you can. See
http://www.techwr-l.com/techwhirl/ma...masterdocs.doc for
Steve Hudson's instructions if you are willing to follow them very
carefully.

--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.
"Thurid" wrote in message
[...]

Restart numbering after heading in user defined style. Rose Microsoft Word Help 1 June 23rd 06 11:34 PM
Numbering of headings starting at Heading 2 Kamilla Winther Page Layout 3 March 27th 06 09:42 AM
word heading numbers master sub--Very Advanced Question (Word 2002 Help with Handouts to Word Microsoft Word Help 1 February 3rd 06 08:06 PM
Styles Elbert Page Layout 3 January 16th 06 01:37 AM
Stopping heading numbering formatting showing up in table of conte MichaelM Microsoft Word Help 1 August 8th 05 04:40 AM