Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Dave Leer Dave Leer is offline

Default Auto updating the caption numbers associated with tables of data?

I need to create a report that will describe many, many tables of data in
the body of the paper. How can I set the document up so that each caption
number for a table is automatically updated if the number referring to it in
the body text is updated, and vice-versa?

Thanks!!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Create caption numbering via Insert | Reference | Caption. When
cross-referencing these numbers, use Insert | Reference |
Cross-Reference.

Captions and cross-references make use of fields (SEQ and REF fields,
respectively), which do not update automatically. One way to force an
update of these and other fields is to select the entire document and
then press F9. Switching to Print Preview should also work. To ensure
that fields update on print, check the "Update fields" option on the
Print tab of Tools | Options.

However, note that cross-references are a one-way street: you cannot
modify the cross-reference number and have the captions reflect that
modification.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Dave Leer" wrote in message
I need to create a report that will describe many, many tables of

data in
the body of the paper. How can I set the document up so that each

caption
number for a table is automatically updated if the number referring

to it in
the body text is updated, and vice-versa?

Thanks!!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Dave Leer Dave Leer is offline

I am not sure I understand:

I inserted a caption for a table and a reference in the body text.

If these do not update automatically, then what is the point of using them?

I created a caption for a table (Table 1) and a reference to it in the text
(Please see Table 1).

how do I now change the name of Table 1 to Table 2 so it reflects this in
both the caption and the reference text?

Thanks!!!!

"Dave Leer" wrote in message
I need to create a report that will describe many, many tables of

data in
the body of the paper. How can I set the document up so that each

caption
number for a table is automatically updated if the number referring

to it in
the body text is updated, and vice-versa?

Thanks!!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

They update semi-automatically. That is, you don't have to manually change
the numbers, but you do have to update the fields, by printing, switching to
Print Preview, or selecting the whole document and pressing F9, as Stefan
explained. If you have created a Table 1 and then insert another table
before it, the original Table 1 will be come Table 2 (you don't have to
change it), and the cross-reference will also update, but not till you
update fields. Also note that if you have Track Changes enabled, numbering
will not be updated until you accept the changes.

"Dave Leer" wrote in message
I need to create a report that will describe many, many tables of

data in
the body of the paper. How can I set the document up so that each

caption
number for a table is automatically updated if the number referring

to it in
the body text is updated, and vice-versa?

Thanks!!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Dave Leer Dave Leer is offline

Thanks. I think that makes sense. I will go try it.
Thanks Suzanne and Stefan.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
They update semi-automatically. That is, you don't have to manually change
the numbers, but you do have to update the fields, by printing, switching
Print Preview, or selecting the whole document and pressing F9, as Stefan
explained. If you have created a Table 1 and then insert another table
before it, the original Table 1 will be come Table 2 (you don't have to
change it), and the cross-reference will also update, but not till you
update fields. Also note that if you have Track Changes enabled, numbering
will not be updated until you accept the changes.

so
all may benefit.

"Dave Leer" wrote in message
I need to create a report that will describe many, many tables of
data in
the body of the paper. How can I set the document up so that each
caption
number for a table is automatically updated if the number referring
to it in
the body text is updated, and vice-versa?

Thanks!!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

You are welcome. Thank you for the feedback.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Dave Leer" wrote in message
[...]