Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
sat sat is offline

Default delete styles from normal.dot

Word 2002 SP3

What is the preferred way of deleting custom styles I added to the
normal.dot template?
Tx.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Open Normal.dot for editing, go to Format | Style (you can get there from
the Styles and Formatting task pane by choosing Custom, then clicking
Styles... in the Format Settings dialog), select "User-defined styles" view,
select the style to be deleted, and click Delete. When you've deleted all
the styles you don't want, save Normal.dot.

"sat" saturnin02_at_hotmail.com wrote in message
Word 2002 SP3

What is the preferred way of deleting custom styles I added to the
normal.dot template?
Tx.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
sat sat is offline

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
Open Normal.dot for editing, go to Format | Style (you can get there from
the Styles and Formatting task pane by choosing Custom, then clicking
Styles... in the Format Settings dialog), select "User-defined styles" view,
select the style to be deleted, and click Delete. When you've deleted all
the styles you don't want, save Normal.dot.

Thanks.
I ended up using the "organizer" under Tools|Addins and Templates, etc.
How to restore the normal.dot to only the original styles that came with
install (the default ones) without starting with brand new normal.dot
file (as this would lose my icon/toolbar customizations)?
Tx.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Charles Kenyon Charles Kenyon is offline

See http://addbalance.com/word/movetotemplate.htm for step-by-step
instructions on moving / sharing / copying / backing-up customizations
including AutoText, AutoCorrect, keyboard assignments, toolbars, macros,
etc.
--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
Open Normal.dot for editing, go to Format | Style (you can get there from
the Styles and Formatting task pane by choosing Custom, then clicking
Styles... in the Format Settings dialog), select "User-defined styles"
view,
select the style to be deleted, and click Delete. When you've deleted all
the styles you don't want, save Normal.dot.

Thanks.
I ended up using the "organizer" under Tools|Addins and Templates, etc.
How to restore the normal.dot to only the original styles that came with
install (the default ones) without starting with brand new normal.dot file
(as this would lose my icon/toolbar customizations)?
Tx.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
sat sat is offline

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
Yes, the Organizer is a better way. I so seldom use it that it didn't occur
to me. Also, I never create custom styles in Normal.dot, as I use only
custom templates.

Yes, that's what I sd do, use custom templates.
How do I get started with that, so that the styles will be there when I
am writing a regular letter?
Will I have to open up the customized template instead of Normal.dot or
use the organizer to copy from 1 to other every time?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...platePart1.htm for
general template information and
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/Letterhead.htm for specifics on letter
templates. Yes, you will need to select your template in the File New
dialog, but if you open Word only to create a document (that is, you don't
leave it running), you can put a shortcut to that template on your desktop
and use it to open Word with a new document based on your custom template.

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
Yes, the Organizer is a better way. I so seldom use it that it didn't

occur
to me. Also, I never create custom styles in Normal.dot, as I use only
custom templates.

Yes, that's what I sd do, use custom templates.
How do I get started with that, so that the styles will be there when I
am writing a regular letter?
Will I have to open up the customized template instead of Normal.dot or
use the organizer to copy from 1 to other every time?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Charles Kenyon Charles Kenyon is offline

For more on the different kinds of templates, tabs on the file new dialog,
and locations of templates folders see
http://addbalance.com/usersguide/templates.htm.

Take a look at: How to set up letterhead or some other document where you
want one header on the first page and a different header on other pages.
http://www.addbalance.com/word/headersfooters.htm This gives step-by-step
instructions. (It also has the following links)

Some other pages to look at:

Letterhead Tips and Instructions
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/Letterhead.htm

Letterhead Textboxes and Styles tutorial
http://addbalance.com/word/download....StylesTutorial
(for simulating different margins on different pages, among other things)

Template Basics
http://www.addbalance.com/usersguide/templates.htm

How to Create a Template - Part 2 - essential reading
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Custom...platePart2.htm

Word "Forms"
http://www.addbalance.com/word/wordw...rces.htm#Forms and

Word for Word Perfect Users
http://www.addbalance.com/word/wordperfect.htm if you are coming from a WP
environment (or even if you are not).

Hope this helps,
--

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
Yes, the Organizer is a better way. I so seldom use it that it didn't
occur
to me. Also, I never create custom styles in Normal.dot, as I use only
custom templates.

Yes, that's what I sd do, use custom templates.
How do I get started with that, so that the styles will be there when I am
writing a regular letter?
Will I have to open up the customized template instead of Normal.dot or
use the organizer to copy from 1 to other every time?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
sat sat is offline

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...platePart1.htm for
general template information and
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/Letterhead.htm for specifics on letter
templates. Yes, you will need to select your template in the File New
dialog, but if you open Word only to create a document (that is, you don't
leave it running), you can put a shortcut to that template on your desktop
and use it to open Word with a new document based on your custom template.

For the both of you Suzanne & Charles:

What I found out is that custom styles can be available in a document
one creates or in the normal.dot (or other template) if one adds it to
the template.

My problem is that I am using custom styles to create an Outlook 2002
signature in html.

Thus if I DON'T add it to normal.dot, every time I create an email, the
styles are the ones included in normal.dot only by default, which does
not seem to contain the custom style I created. OR at the minimum, there
seems to be a conflict between some styles due to names of styles as my
customized "hyperlink" style does not take in OL signature once I create
a new message if I don't add it to normal.dot (with a different name
than "hyperlink".) [Maybe that's where I went wrong....]

Thus, to use custom styles in OL signatures, it LOOKS to me at least,
that I HAVE to add the custom style to normal.dot as that is what OL
uses when it creates a "New Message". Can you confirm?

I really don't like adding all kinds of styles to normal.dot or making
lots of changes to it as I might screw it up, etc. I'd much rather
create styles in a template called custom.dot, for example; but.....

Looking forward to your comments.
[I might post this in the OL NG as well....]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
sat sat is offline

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
Since I don't use Outlook for mail (and wouldn't use Word as the email
editor even if I did), I'll bow out at this point.

I hear OL2007 part of Office 2007 makes use of Word as html editor by
default and hard coded....

In any event, I've never seen something as complicated as handling
styles in Word....