Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Scott Meyers Scott Meyers is offline

Default Spell checking inconsistency

I'm working on a document in German using the American version of Word 2002.
Unsurprisingly, Word puts its red squiggly line under pretty much every word in
the first paragraph. What is surprising is that it doesn't flag any other word
in the document as misspelled. It's as if it gives up after the first
paragraph. I'd like to have it spell-check the German, but my understanding is
that that's an extra cost option, and I don't want it badly enough to pay for
it. That being the case, I'd like to turn off spell checking for German
documents. Once I get the kinks worked out of this document, I plan to save it
as a template for future German documents, but one of the kinks is that Word
seems intent on spell-checking the first paragraph only. Can somebody explain to
me why it's treating the first paragraph differently from all the rest? Several
subsequent paragraphs use the same style (Body Text), so I'm guessing it's not a
style thing...

Thanks,

Scott
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

If you have "Detect language automatically" checked in Tools | Language |
Set Language, I'm guessing that after the first paragraph it does indeed
"give up" and applies "Do not check spelling or grammar" (no proofing) to
the rest of the text. You can arrange this on purpose by adding that
property to the styles you use for your German documents.